Whether we are talking about blockbuster box office hits or just plain old fun entertainment – these are the 10 best mainstream movies of 2010. Regardless of your personal taste, 2010 had mainstream movies that got our attention. The awesome part is that only one of them was a sequel.
- "Toy Story 3". No other 2010 mainstream movie made more money or more critics happy. This billion dollar-earning blockbuster adds to the undisputable legacy that Pixar Animation Studios has built. The "Toy Story 3" characters are now part of the most successful animated film in history.
- "Inception". Christopher Nolan, director of "The Dark Knight", created one of the most talked about mainstream movies of 2010. The beauty of "Inception"'s success is that it is a complete original – not a sequel, TV show, or comic book. Leonardo Di Caprio's character knew how to steal and plant ideas into people's dreams, and how to make Warner Brother's dreams come true by "Inception" earning over $800 million dollars globally.
- "The Social Network". David Fincher's film based on the life of Facebook.com creator Mark Zuckerberg, hit 2010 at the perfect time, when social networking seemed to be at an all time high. Equipped with a magnificent script, performances, and direction from Fincher – The Golden Globes and The National Board of Review handed this film numerous nominations. For a drama, this 2010 movie also mingled in the mainstream, making almost 5 times it's $40 million dollar budget.
- "The Town". Ben Affleck followed up his success directing "Gone Baby Gone" with another brilliant, gritty Boston crime story. This time Affleck is behind and in front of the camera, playing a member of a bank robbing crew. Actor Jeremy Renner, from "The Hurt Locker", puts in a particularly stunning performance as the hot-headed loose cannon of the group.
- "Despicable Me". Considering Universal Pictures isn't known for animation like Pixar and Dream Works, they must be extremely pleased. Comic actors such as Steve Carell, Russell Brand, and Jason Segel lent their voices. Also, the sizzling score to this 2010 mainstream movie was provided by super-producer Pharell Williams.
- "The Other Guys". Casting Mark Wahlberg and Will Ferrell as under dog cops in an action comedy is amazing enough. Director Adam McKay, from "Anchorman" and "Step Brothers" also manages to fill the screen with Samuel L. Jackson, Eva Mendes, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, Michael Keaton, and yes…Derek Jeter from the New York Yankees. Oddly enough, much of the laughs from this mainstream 2010 comedy comes from the other guy – Mark Wahlberg.
- "Shutter Island". Director Martin Scorsese may be known for his mob movies, but gothic, psychological thrillers, like "Shutter Island" his most successful movie to date, are also his specialty. He has given us "Cape Fear", "Bring Out the Dead", and possibly the greatest one ever – "Taxi Driver". With "Inception" and "Shutter Island", Leonardo Di Caprio had an incredible year, this time playing Teddy Daniels who is investigating a controversial mental institution.
- "The Expendables". Sylvester Stallone made a widely successful movie without Rocky Balboa or John Rambo. Stallone directs, stars, and co-wrote this retro 1980''s action movie throwback with plenty of familiar faces from the genre. He even manages to get himself, Bruce Willis, and Arnold Schwarzenegger together on screen for the first time ever.
- "Salt". Angelina Jolie showed once again how much sex appeal and "flex appeal" she can bring to an action hero. Much like her roles in "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" and Lara Croft: Tomb Raider" Jolie is the go-to lady to throw blows and blow things up. Jolie's face on a movie poster with the word "Salt" was enough to make close to $300 million dollars with this mainstream movie in 2010.
- "Get Him to the Greek". This 2010 mainstream comedy is a spin-off of "Following Sarah Marshal" from 2008. Russell Brand reprises his role as bizarre rock star Aldous Snow, who this time actor Jonah Hill's record executive character must get to the Greek Theater in time for a concert. Easier said than done.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.