10 Best Martial Arts Fight
It is hard to make a top 10 best martial arts fight list without being a little controversial. Everybody disagrees on what makes a good mixed martial arts battle, and thus everybody has a drastically different list. This list is simply a collection of ten of the most important fights, whether for their impact on the sport or for the talent shown within the ring.
- PRIDE 21: Don Frye vs Yoshihiro Takayama. This fight was so amazing they actually took it and put it in a movie- without changing hardly anything from the real fight. Don Frye is the toughest man alive, and him and Takayama just punch each other as hard as they can in the face for five minutes without stopping. One of the best stand up battles ever.
- UFC 52: Frank Trigg vs Matt Hughes. As the most controversial comeback fight in memory, Frank Trigg and Matt Hughes second battle certainly deserves some respect on any top ten list.
- Cage Rage 15: Melvin Manhoef vs Cyborg. Some people would argue that this was the greatest stand up fight ever, and most would be hard pressed to disagree.
- PRIDE Shockwave 2004: Fedor Emelianenko vs Antonio Roderigo Nogueira. The third fight between Fedor and Nog, after the second no contest thanks to an accidental headbutt, showed that Fedor really was the number one fighter in the world at the time.
- PRIDE Final Conflict 2003: Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs Mirko Cro Cop. One of the most surprising conclusions in mixed martial arts history as Cro Cop seemed nearly immortal at this poitn.
- UFC 117: Anderson Silva vs Chael Sonnen. This may seem like an odd choice, but after the mixed martial arts world had turned against Silva, they needed an excuse to cheer him. People either wanted to see Sonnen knock him out or see Silva embarass the loud mouthed Sonnen (R). Instead they got both, as Sonnen dominated the battle but fell victim to a better fighter, and his own scumbag qualities,in the end.
- Ultimate Fighter Finale 1: Stephan Bonnar vs Forrest Griffin. When people look back at the UFC explosion of the late 2000's, they can trace a lot of it back to this. The Ultimate Fighter's first season put UFC on the reality show map and into the homes of a lot of people who otherwise might not have seen it, and Bonnar and Griffin's battle was so good it assured that the UFC would make millions.
- PRIDE Grand Prix 2000 Finals: Royce Gracie vs Kazushi Sakuraba. The longest battle in mixed martial arts history was also one of the most important, as Sakuraba gave Gracie the unthinkable- a loss.
- PRIDE Critical Countdown 2005: Shogun Rua vs Antonio Rogerio Nogueira. One of the best battles of all time between two top fighters at the tip top of their game. PRIDE had a great year in 2005 and this epic battle was part of it.
- PRIDE Final Conflict 2005: Fedor Emelianenko vs Mirko Cro Cop. This was one of the most anticipated battles in the history of combat sports. When this fight was getting ready to happen, it was a battle between absolute giants of the sport. The electricity alone could have powered a small city, and that solidifies it as the top of the top ten best martial arts fights.