10 Best Martin Scorsese Movies
The 10 best Martin Scorsese movies display the vision and artistry that made him famous. Widely considered one of the most significant directors around, Martin Scorsese has received critical and popular acclaim as well as many innumerable awards for his films.
- “Raging Bull.” “Raging Bull” is considered by many to be the greatest of all Martin Scorsese movies, and also one of the greatest films in general. It tells the story of boxer Jake LaMotta, played by Robert DeNiro, and was nominated for a total of eight Academy Awards.
- “Casino.” The second – but not the last – film starring Robert DeNiro to make the list. The movie also includes Joe Pesci, Sharon Stone, and James Spader. It is notorious for the prevalence of the F-word.
- “Gangs of New York.” In this Martin Scorsese movie, Daniel Day-Lewis makes a terrifying appearance as powerful gang leader, Bill “The Butcher” Cutting.
- “The Departed.” This film features Leonardo DiCaprio, Jack Nicholson, Matt Damon, and Mark Wahlberg, and leaves you guessing until the final scene.
- “Taxi Driver.” Character Travis Bickle’s line, “You talkin’ to me?” is one of the most famous movie quotes of all-time.
- “Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore.” Starring Ellen Burstyn, this is the only film centering on a female to make the list of 10 best Martin Scorsese movies. Ellen Burstyn received an Oscar for her portrayal of the title character.
- “Mean Streets.” The fourth DeNiro film on the list, it also stars Harvey Keitel as a small-time gangster trying to move up in the ranks.
- “GoodFellas.” “GoodFellas” is based on a book about real-life former mobster, Henry Hill.
- “Cape Fear.” This remake makes a total of six films starring Robert DeNiro on the list of 10 best Martin Scorsese movies. He gives a chilling performance as a vengeful rapist, and received an Oscar nomination for the role.
- “The Aviator.” This film about the life of Howard Hughes received a whopping 11 Academy Award nominations.