10 Best Mexican Restaurants: San Diego
If you're looking for authentic Mexican food, find out what native San Diegans consider to be the 10 best Mexican restaurants in San Diego. Since San Diego borders Mexico, there is a plethora of excellent Mexican restaurants to choose from. Whether you're looking for tacos or chile rellenos, San Diego won't let you down.
- Candelas on the Bay. Located on Coronado Island. Experience authentic Mexican food while taking in views of the San Diego Bay and the Coronado Bridge. It is considered to be one of the more upscale fine dining Mexican restaurants in San Diego. Candelas on the Bay: 1201 1st St., Coronado, CA 92118.
- La Fiesta. Anyone who has dined at La Fiesta will tell you why it is one of the best Mexican restaurants in this coastal city. The food is very flavorful, with large portions. The restaurant is known for its outrageous cocktail hour. Located in the lively Gaslight District, this restaurant caters to thirty-something clientele. La Fiesta: 628 5th Ave., San Diego, CA 92101.
- Wahoo's. Don't let the name fool you! The food is Baja Mexican with an attitude. The decor speaks to surfers and skateboarders. You will see signed boards from the likes of Shawn White hanging from the ceiling and walls. The menu offers everything from chicken burritos to tofu tacos. All platters are served with delicious, un-traditional Mexican spicy white beans and herb white rice. This restaurant, with its casual dining, is a big hit for families with teens. Wahoo's: 3944 W. Point Loma Blvd., San Diego, CA 92110.
- Las Olas. San Diegans consider this eatery to be the Holy Grail of Mexican restaurants because it is where the world famous fish taco was born. It is about twenty minutes north of San Diego and is located on the beach in Cardiff. Here, you can enjoy Mexican cuisine and margaritas while watching the sun set quietly over the Pacific Ocean. Casual dining. Las Olas: 2939 Carlsbad Blvd., Carlsbad, CA 92008.
- En Fuego. Located in downtown Del Mar, a small beach community north of the city. This is an old converted beach house that is known for its cheesy enchiladas and exotic margaritas. Their cocktail hour caters to Del Mar's single nightlife. Adult casual dining. En Fuego: 1342 Camino Del Mar, Del Mar, CA 92014.
- Rubio's. One of the most popular fast food Mexican restaurants in San Diego. They serve Baja Mexican cuisine, with a menu on the fresh seafood side. They offer a variety of Mexican food for all ages. Everything on the menu is grilled and cooked without lard. Rubio's has a cute kid's menu that offers quesadillas, salsa-free burritos and pint size churros. An excellent place to take the family for lunch. Rubio's: 7836 Highland Village Place, San Diego, CA 92129.
- Nico's Tacos. No bells and whistles but by far the best Mexican fast food you'll ever eat. The food is as authentic as you can get, right down to the avocado crema sauce on the flautas. Nico's Tacos: 3860 Valley Centre Drive, San Diego, CA 92130.
- Fidel's. This Mexican bistro makes you feel as though you are in Mexico. The walls and floors are lined with imported Mexican tiles and rustic wood accents. Order the albondigas soup. It's the best in San Diego. Be sure to ask for directions, because their locations are a little hard to find. Fidel's: 607 Valley Ave., Solana Beach, CA 92075.
- Old Town Mex. Located in San Diego's Old Town district. In the store front windows you'll find women dressed in traditional Mayan costumes making tortillas by hand. Dine under a lighted canopied terrace while listening to mariachi music. Try the tamale appetizer and the margaritias, which are the best in town. If you don't like waiting in line, plan to go on a weekday. Casual family dining. Old Town Mex: 2489 San Diego Ave., San Diego, CA 92110.
- Roberto's. This is one of the oldest family-owned taco stands in San Diego. If you want to capture some of San Diego's surf culture, have lunch at the Del Mar location on the patio. It's walking distance from the Torrey Pines Beach Park. They serve everything from bean burritos to carnitas. Very casual dining. Roberto's: 2206 Carmel Valley Road, Del Mar, CA 92014.