The 10 best Mexican restaurants in San Francisco range the full spectrum of prices, ambiance and flavors, sharing only one thing in common—people who come once, always come again. Pick your favorite or test them all.
Tommy’s Mexican Restaurant. This hip Mexican stop is the place to be at night. Crowded with young people, Tommy’s is famed for its fresh ingredients and mean margaritas. Choose combo platters to share with friends and laugh the night away to the taste of delicious cuisine. This best Mexican restaurant is located at 5929 Geary Blvd. San Francisco, CA 94121. (415) 387-4747.
La Taqueria. Small yet spacious and charmingly decorated, this simple Mexican retreat is the place to go for tacos. From hot tortillas to crunchy taco shells that explode with flavor, you’ll enjoy the simple, affordable food at La Taqueria. This best Mexican restaurant is located at 2889 Mission St. San Francisco, CA 94110. (415) 285-7117.
Mercedes–Hair of the Dog Cantina. Exotic colors and bright tapestries welcome diners in this beautiful financial district Mexican gem. Enjoy midday Mexican brews or a zesty Margarita, and savor the signature Mexican cuisine made-to-order for pleasure. This best Mexican restaurant is located at 653 Commercial St. San Francisco, CA 94111. (415) 391-8717.
- Papalote. Papalote is not your ordinary Mission taqueria; this Mexican stop is unique. From the red walls to the blue floor and simple wooden tables, this is a place to experience simplicity with a touch of class. Choose meals that are cooked to order, as well as a wide range of vegetarian and vegan dishes. This best Mexican restaurant is located at 3409 24th St. San Francisco, CA 94110. (415) 970-8815.
- Tropisueno. Sophisticated yet casual, this beautiful Mexican gem invites you to enter with its relaxed atmosphere and beautiful wooden décor. Enjoy a modern twist on famous Mexican fare with Latin cuisine woven through. This best Mexican restaurant is located at 75 Yerba Buena Ln. San Francisco, CA 94103. Reservations: (415) 243-0299.
- Nopalito. This hip Mexican stop has it all from a sizzling atmosphere to aromatic Latin cuisine to tease your senses. Watch the chef prepare your feast in the open kitchen and savor the aromas. This best Mexican restaurant is located at 306 Broderick St. San Francisco, CA 94117. (415) 437-0303.
Mamacita. This exotic gem is not awash with colors, but with style and grace. Sit by the gleaming bar or the private wooden tables and look up at the paper lanterns that sparkle like stars. Taste the flavors of sophisticated Mexican cuisine. This best Mexican restaurant is located at 2317 Chestnut St. San Francisco, CA 94123. (415) 346-8494.
- Colibri. Stunningly decorated yet wonderfully affordable, this exotic Mexican hideaway offers a soothing dining experience. From the golden sand of the walls to the aromatic flavors of the food cooked in the tradition of family-old recipes, Colibri offers a casual yet elegant place to stop, chat and eat. This best Mexican restaurant is located at 438 Geary St. San Francisco, CA 94102. Reservations: (415) 440-2737.
Little Chihuahua Mexican. If eating healthy is your preference, then this charming Mexican stop has it all: organic produce, free-range chicken and natural meats filled with flavors and aromas made-to-order for your delight. This best Mexican restaurant is located at 292 Divisadero St. San Francisco, CA 94117. (415) 255-8225.
- Taqueria Guadalajara. Tucked away in the neighborhood of Mission Terrace is a simple place for good eating. Taqueria Guadalajara is all about delicious Mexican fare at affordable prices. By word of mouth its fame has grown and anyone who visit once is sure to come again. This best Mexican restaurant is located at 4798 Mission St. San Francisco, CA 94112. Telephone: (415) 469-5480.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.