Naming the 10 best midwest weekend getaways is a difficult job because of the vast expanse of the area and array of things to do. The American Midwest consists of twelve states, namely: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Ohio and Wisconsin.
- South Dakota: South Dakota has two contrasting natural features that can make nature lovers a perfect weekend getaway. The Badlands National Park is a collection of stark cliffs and buttes. It offers a quiet, away from civilization and almost lunar landscape. On the other hand the Black Hills National Forest is a lush retreat full with tall pine trees.
- Hot Springs: Visit the city famous for its hot springs and hot-water pools for a weekend getaway. There are family fun centers with giant slides taking you down into 87 degrees Fahrenheit hot water. Next, visit the Mammoth Site. A 26,000 year old grave of the Columbian and Wooly mammoths and other mammals, which is being unearthed continuously, ever since its discovery in 1974.
- Wind Caves: Wind caves is a long complex system of caves that offers an outstanding display of cave formations. Especially, the honeycomb like box-work made of thin calcite fins. The nearby grass prairie grasslands are amongst the few remaining grasslands where wildlife like Bison, elk, pronghorn, mule deer, coyotes and prairie dogs can be seen. This is going to be a fun filled Midwest weekend getaway.
- Sioux Falls: This is a small and quiet town where you could go visit the famous waterfalls by the same name and have a family picnic time. You can head on to the Great Bear Park for winter sports like snow tubing and skiing. Going on to Mitchell; a small town famous for its corn palace.
- Dayton, OH: This is your perfect big city with a character of its now. The city is replete with museums, National Parks, Historical Sites, theme parks and tours. The experience gets just a tad too awesome with all the various dining options the city offers, making it one of the best Midwest weekend getaways.
- Ludington, Michigan: Its Michigan’s featured beach town. It’s a scenic small town with two historic lighthouses and pristine beaches and sand dunes. The Lake Michigan Carferry is another attraction. In fall, enjoy the fall foliage from the North Break Water Light House.
- Old Peninsula, Michigan: The Grand Traverse Bay as the area is called consists of several wineries, vineyards, orchards and lush green hills. The twenty mile long peninsula north of the Traverse City leads the way to the Lake Michigan. A serene retreat that gives you the feel of being in Europe is one of the best Midwest weekend getaways.
- Cleveland, Ohio: Cleveland is famous for its Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum. But, that’s not all Cleveland offers orchestra, art museum and historic neighborhoods. You will simply love this Midwest weekend getaway.
- Indianapolis, Indiana: This is the best Midwest weekend getaway for families with children. The children’s museum is abounding with interactive exhibits, planetarium, a make-believe construction site and a water zone.
- Omaha, Nebraska: This is probably one of the most sought after Midwest weekend destination for families with kids. The famous Doorly Zoo consists of a desert within a dome that heats everything within, up to 80 degree Fahrenheit. The paths around the enclosures with wildlife and hillsides make the experience, unforgettable for the kids. The Old Market district and the Art Museum are other attractions.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.