A modern movie fan should not be ignorant of the 10 best movie monologues to date. These popular phrases often get spoofed and referenced to in movies today, a homage that may pass you by unless you are familiar with some of the classical cinema quotes.
- One of Rorshach’s opening monologues in “Watchmen.” "The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'… and I'll look down and whisper 'No.'" This powerful speech gives the movie goers a look into how Rorshach operates and immediately sets the tone to be had for the rest of the film.
- Al Pacino in “Justice for All.” “You're out or order! You're out of order! The whole trial is out of order!” This famous scene is seen as one of Al Pacino’s defining moments as an actor. In a fit of rage over the train-wreck justice system, he began to loudly voice his opinion in an open court.
- Jack Nicholson in “A Few Good Men.” “You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's going to do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?” This is a scene that has been recreated and spoofed by too many movies to count on one hand. Certainly one of the best movie monologues judging by the sheer amount of spoofs alone.
- Robert Dinero in “Taxi Driver.” Another monologue that set off a fad in the real world: “You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me?” Robert Dinero expertly evoked the emotion that was intended when saying these words. This monologue set off a trend in the real world where people would recite this quote when confronted by someone.
- Michael Douglas in “Wall Street.” “The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.” This is an eloquent and thought provoking speech that gave many Americans something to think about. It deserves its position as one of the best monologues for the truth in what was said.
- Clint Eastwood in “Dirty Harry.” “So you gotta ask yourself this question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?”. One of the most memorable quotes in movie history, if not for how applicable it can be in the real world, for how bad-ass it sounds.
- Liam Neeson in “Schidnler’s List.” “Two more people. It would have given me two more. At least one. It would have given me one. One more. One more person.” A morose moment in the movie where Schindler Is emotionally taken in by his guilt. The heart wrenching scene and well voiced writing makes this quote perfect to be one of the best movie monologues to date.
- Samuel L. Jackson in “Pulp Fiction.” “And you will know my name is the Lord. When I lay my vengeance upon thee.” This line had people of all faiths, even those of no faith, reciting this portion from the bible in applicable situations. For how influential this popular monologue managed to be on film goers everywhere, this quote deserves to go down as one of the best movie monologues.
- Alec Baldwin in “Malice.” “You ask me if I have a God complex? Let me tell you something: I am God.” A fairly well written, expertly presented speech that this apparent doctor gives. This quote is controversial to the religious, but it simply voices publicly what many in the medical profession are thinking. This quote goes down as one of the best movie monologues because it dares to be provocative.
- Faye Dunaway in “Mommie Dearest.” “No wire hangers! What's wire hangers doing in this closet when I told you no wire hangers? Ever!” This quote invaded the minds of mothers all over the world who would recite this quote when punishing their child. Although the movie was meant to send a message to the audience, this single quote is often spoofed and used for comedy.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
10 Reasons Your Wife Is Unhappy in Your Marriage
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.