The ten best movies of the ‘80s included many big name stars and directors. From action to science fiction, the best movies of the ‘80s had it all. As movie budgets continued to increase, the use of special effects became more common, making many of the films more exciting.
- E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial. This blockbuster hit theaters in 1982, and grossed nearly $800 million worldwide. The production budget was a mere $10.5 million, making it the most profitable of the best movies of the ‘80s.
- The Empire Strikes Back. Released in 1980, the second installment of George Lucas’ Star Wars saga pulled in nearly $600 million at the box office. It was the highest grossing movie of all time until the release of E.T. two years later.
- Return of the Jedi. While the third Star Wars movie only made $475 million, it is still one of the best movies of the ‘80s. The film was the top grossing movie of 1983.
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Released in 1989, the third Indiana Jones flick made $474 million. The sound editors for the movie won an Academy Award.
- Batman. Michael Keaton’s first movie as the Caped Crusader pulled in $411 million in 1989. Keaton returned for a sequel three years later.
- Raiders of the Lost Ark. The first Indiana Jones film came out in 1981, and made a little over $384 million worldwide. The success of this film led to two more sequels in the 80’s, and another sequel in 2008.
- Back to the Future. One of the best movies of the ‘80s, this classic came out in 1985. It pulled in over $381 million at the box office.
- Rain Man. The star power of Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman helped this 1988 film pull in nearly $355 million worldwide. Hoffman won the Academy Award for Best Actor for his performance in the film.
- Top Gun. Released in 1986, this movie grossed over $353 million. Since the film was one of the best movies of the ‘80s, it helped to increase Air Force and Navy recruitment.
- Back to the Future Part II. While not as profitable as the first installment, this 1989 sequel still grossed $332 million worldwide. A third and final installment hit theaters a year later and made $244 million.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
You might be little spoon or perhaps a Belieber. Or, if you’re lucky, one popular country star.
8 Things All Guys Should Stop Doing by Age 30
You're a man now, dog.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”