On the whole, the 10 best movies about addiction paint a horrific picture of drug abuse, obsession, and disintegrating lives. If some of these movies don't convince you to stay away from hard drugs, nothing will.
- "Requiem for a Dream." Starring Jared Leto, Jennifer Connelly, Marlon Wayons, and Ellen Burstyn, this film follows the four main characters as they descend into addiction. Ellen Burstyn was nominated for an Academy Award for her performance.
- "Drugstore Cowboy." This movie features a group of addicts who rob pharmacies to support their habits.
- "Days of Wine and Roses." Jack Lemmon stars in this classic film about an upper-middle class couple who starts out drinking socially and then spiral into full-blown alcoholism.
- "Scarface." This cult classic stars Al Pacino as drug lord Tony Montana, who becomes addicted to his own product and watches his world fall apart.
- "Trainspotting." In this critically acclaimed film, we meet a group of friends and heroin addicts in Edinburgh, Scotland, and observe as their lives disintegrate.
- "Leaving Las Vegas." This movie features Nicolas Cage as an alcoholic on the brink of suicide, and Elizabeth Shue as a prostitute who befriends him. The role earned Cage an Academy Award.
- "Rush." In this movie about addiction, two narcotics officers begin using heroin and their drug use spirals out of control.
- "28 Days." Sandra Bullock stars as an alcoholic who ends up in rehab. The movie offers a depiction of the recovery process as the main character slowly–and sometimes hesitantly–confronts her addiction.
- "Less Than Zero." Loosely based on a Bret Easton Ellis novel, "Less Than Zero" tells the story of drug addiction among rich young people in Los Angeles. Robert Downey Jr., Andrew McCarthy, and Jami Gertz play three friends whose lives are affected by hard drug use.
- "The Basketball Diaries." Leonardo DiCaprio stars as a young basketball star who ends up prostituting himself to support his heroin addiction.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
14 Things to Look Forward to in Your 40s
The door is wide open to say and do anything you want. Such as the following...
The Modern Gentleman’s Guide to Casual Sex
Studies show your fling has an assumption about how things will go. Prove them wrong.
How to End Awkward Handshakes
A short illustrated history of when to use what.