Craving to watch the 10 best movies about fashion? The fashion industry, with its glamorous players, makes a popular movie subject. Something about the ability of fashion to transform people into newer, more attractive versions of themselves strikes a chord in many movie-goers hearts. The fashion scene also contains an array of over-the-top characters sure to entertain both fashionistas and those who don’t know a Manolo Blahnik from a Burberry. Grab your feather boa and some popcorn and prepare to enter the often-comical world of high fashion with 10 of the best movies about fashion.
- "Prêt-à-Porter" (Ready to Wear) 1994. Robert Altman’s comic take on the Parisian fashion industry brings out the lighter side in a dazzling number of Hollywood stars. While renowned for its celebrity cameo appearances and starring roles by an ensemble that includes Julia Roberts, Rupert Everett, Sophia Loren and Marcello Mastroianni, the nude catwalk at the end of the film is one of the best-known sequences.
- "The Devil Wears Prada" (2006). This fashion movie, adapted from the book of the same name, details the experiences of a naïve fashion intern in the New York fashion industry scene. Meryl Streep’s portrayal of a cruel, merciless and unrelentingly fashionable boss won her an Oscar nomination.
- "Funny Face" (1957). Audrey Hepburn takes a star turn in this musical tale of a young bookseller whose “new and fresh” look is noticed by a fashion photographer, played by Fred Astaire, who takes her to Paris and launches her modeling career.
- "Zoolander" (2001). This screwball comedy details the life of a leading male model, portrayed by comedian Ben Stiller, whose mid-career identity crisis causes him to fall into the hands of an evil fashion designer that subsequently brainwashes him to kill the president of Malaysia.
- "Unzipped" (1995). One of the best fashion films for fans of the supermodel era, this tribute to the models and times of the 1990's portrays the larger-than-life personality of fashion designer Isaac Mizrahi. The movie features some of the world’s best known supermodels, including Naomi Campbell, Cindy Crawford and Linda Evangelista.
- "Qui êtes-vous, Polly Maggoo?" (Who Are You, Polly Maggoo?)(1966). William Klein’s fashion mockumentary describes the adventures and perils of a 20 year-old model and tries to dive beneath the surface of the glitzy fashion industry to see whether it is as superficial as it initially appears.
- "The Intern" (2000). Dominique Swain plays a young intern at a fictional New York City magazine that gets more than she bargains for when she goes undercover to discover the spy who is selling the magazine’s spreads to a rival magazine.
- "Fashions of 1934" (1934). A lighthearted portrayal of the Parisian fashion, this musical comedy stars William Powell and Bette Davis as entrepreneurs who steal and copy the latest Parisian designs so they can sell cheap copies to their U.S. clients.
- "Coco Before Chanel" (2009). Audrey Tatou portrays Coco Chanel in this film that describes Chanel’s rise to fame from her humble beginnings as a singer and performer in a provincial bar.
- "Catwalk" (1966). This film follows supermodel Christy Turlington throughout a busy year in the early 1990's and explores the sometimes complicated relationship between models and designers.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.