As Israel continues to capture the world's imagination both in the news media and as a spiritual place for three of the world’s major religions, now might be a good time to take a look at the best movies about Israel.
- "Exodus." Paul Newman stars in this acclaimed film about the birth of Israel. This is almost universally referred to as the best movie about Israel ever made.
- "The 50 Years War: Israel and the Arabs." An excellent documentary exploring the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Arab Muslim world.
- "To Take a Wife." This is one of the best movies about Israel from the '70s. It is especially recommended for fans of John Cassavetes.
- "Turn Left at the End of the World." This film explores the immigration of two Jews from decidedly different cultural backgrounds to Israel in the '60s.
- "Or." This film is probably the best movie about Israel to tackle the issue of prostitution in Tel Aviv.
- "The Syrian Bride." The winner of several awards, "The Syrian Bride" explores the ways in which politics can have a major affect on a family’s personal lives.
- "Walk on Water." "Walk on Water" is the best movie about Israel to address the taboo subject of homosexuality.
- "The Ushpizin." This is perhaps the first Orthodox Jewish film that was intended for the consumption of a general audience – and somehow it works.
- "Munich." While it might not be an Israeli movie by definition, it is certainly one of the best movies about Israel, in particular the terrorist incident that saw the death of several Israeli athletes at the Munich Olympiad of 1972.
- "Beaufort." "Beaufort" is set in the days leading up to the Israeli army's withdrawal from southern Lebanon in 2000.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Beer Brain: Sam Adams’ Kosmic Mother Funk
This private-reserve beer drinks like a fine port or brandy.
10 Social-Media Problems Ello Solves
From privacy to nudity—why the Anti-Facebook's time has come.