Here are 10 of the best movies about kings. There have been plenty of kings in history, from ancient times to now. Most of them by virtue of their position have lead lives interesting enough to be made into movies. But there are only a few that can be considered great.
- "Monty Python and The Holy Grail" (1975) - Yes, it’s not a serious movie but compared to the other movies about King Arthur, it’s by far the best. There have been other decent ones but the majority are just terrible and none have managed to be historically accurate. At least you can laugh hysterically with this one, and not because it’s bad. A must see movie about a king.
- "Princess Mononoke" (1997) - Okay it’s not exactly a movie about a king. There is a king in it and he plays a very important part; he’s just not the main character. However it deserves a nod in any category you can put it in as one of the greatest animé films, or just films, ever made. It was supposed to the legendary Hayao Miyazaki’s final film. Thank god it wasn’t.
- "Charlemagne" (1994) - It’s long but it’s worth it. Hands down the best movie about the life of Charlemagne, the king who changed the course of history. Almost unbelievably historically accurate this is one of the best movies about a king ever made.
- "The Lion In Winter" (1968) - Hands down one of the greatest movies about a king ever made, it is still one to beat. Katharine Hepburn and Peter O’Toole match wits as Eleanor and Henry II in one of the greatest love/hate relationships in history. The tension is almost unbearable and you’ll never guess the end.
- "Henry V" (1989) - With all the films based on Shakespeare's writing about kings, Kenneth Branagh’s adaption of "Henry V" is by far the greatest. Full of blood, gore, and death with the occasional laugh made all the more effective by its rarity, it’s one of the best Shakespeare adaptions ever made and one of the best movies about a king.
- "Becket" (1964) - Based on the lives of King Henry II and his close friend the Archbishop of Canterbury, played by Peter O’Toole and Richard Burton respectively. It's full of drama and intrigue and an excellent show of how power can affect a lifelong friendship.
- "Richard III" (1955) - With Lawrence Oliver in the lead as a king with pretty much no morals who kills all those in his way to the throne, thankfully this movie has a happy ending. The evil Richard III is killed in the final battle while he yells for a horse. A brilliant movie about a king–different from others in that this king is evil.
- "King Lear" (1984) - Another Shakespeare adaption featuring Lawrence Oliver in his final big screen role. It’s considered to be Oliver’s greatest performance and there has never been another adaption of this play that has come close to this movie. This movie about a king shows the power of lust and greed and will keep you watching until the end.
- "The Crusades" (1935) - A masterpiece by Cecil B. DeMille, it’s not historically accurate at all but still a great watch. This movie about a king is actually about two kings, Richard the Lionheart and Saladin, but mostly it’s about Richard and his love for a beautiful princess.
- "The Last Emperor" (1987) - Okay so it’s a movie about an emperor instead of a movie about a king, but really, they’re the same thing so it still counts. Considered one of the best movies ever made, it’s based on the life of Puyi, the last emperor of China and his struggle to rule a world that is changing.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
13 Pro Wrestling Tales Too Crazy to be True—But They Are!
Because the gnarliest stuff happens when the cameras are off.