Whether you are thinking about going law school or have just been inspired by an episode of "The Nancy Grace Show," check out these 10 best movies about law to satisfy your law movie craving. While some of these films are comedic, most of them are dramatic, and all show the different aspects of the legal system.
- "The Accused" is a powerful movie that's based on a true story. Jodie Foster stars as Sarah Tobias, a woman who is gang-raped in a bar while others cheer it on. It's a powerful story because in it, the bystanders who cheered on the rape were also held legally responsible.
- "To Kill a Mockingbird" is a classic, memorable law movie. Starring Gregory Peck, this movie goes down as one of the best films of all time. It's a riveting courtroom drama.
- "Chicago" is a rare type of law movie; it's also a musical. Featuring captivating song and dance numbers, the dramatic story is stirred along by its beautiful songs.
- "A Time to Kill" is a movie where you are set up to be on the side of the defendant. When his daughter is brutally raped, a man seeks vigilante justice. When he is put on trial, the trial makes for riveting drama. You can't help but pick sides.
- "The Changeling" tells the story of a woman whose son was kidnapped sometime in the 1930s. It is based on a true story. Although the police try to convince the woman that another boy is her own, it is ultimately exposed that there is corruption in the Los Angeles police department. The situation of what actually happened to her son is more horrific that what can be imagined, and the film ends with a court trial that's shocking.
- "Erin Brockovich" is a powerful story about the power that one woman, who had never even been to law school, had in getting justice. She exposes the evil truth of a company whose negligence and knowingly bad behavior led to many people in a community developing cancer. It's comedic at times, but it's ultimately a legal drama of hope.
- "Legally Blonde" is a comedy about going to law school. Reese Witherspoon rose to even greater stardom after playing the lead in this movie. This is a comedy that pokes fun at what it is like to attend Harvard Law School. Law students will no doubt find this movie fun and enjoyable.
- "My Cousin Vinny" is also a comedy that has to do with the law. When city folk find themselves in Alabama and facing the law, much comedy ensues.
- "Philadelphia" is a moving law movie for which Tom Hanks won an Oscar. When a well-educated man is dismissed from his job after he contracts AIDS, he seeks out to find a lawyer who will take on his case. This is a movie that will stick with you long after you've watched it.
- "Fracture" is a movie about twisting the law. It stars Anthony Hopkins and Ryan Gosling as two people on opposite sides of the law. There are twists in the story all the way to the end, and nothing is quite what it seems.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.