Many weekend daredevils like to drive for miles and risk their personal safety for a little safety, but its always faster and safer to just watch the best movies about survival. These movies will make you think twice before you hop on a plane, go white water rafting, or take a hike.
- “Cast Away.” Winning the award for most legendary weight gain and loss for a motion picture role, Tom Hanks first gained 50 pounds and then lost 55 pounds. Production was put on hold for a year while the two-time Academy Award winner shed the weight. Luckily, Wilson, his volleyball co-star, did not get booked on another gig and was available to complete the shoot.
- “Swiss Family Robinson.” Definitely the most family-friendly movie about survival, this Disney flick follows the Robinson clan as they are stranded on an island on their way to New Guinea. It’s just as good as the original novel, but no way near as entertaining as the TV show “Lost in Space,” which is a futuristic version of this adventure tale.
- “Alive.” What makes this movie really worth watching is the insanely intense plane crash that kicks the whole thing off. Even “Lost” fans will be blown away by the realism of these special effects. But the rest of the movie is certainly worth watching, as viewers see how far people can push their moral boundaries in this best film about survival based on real events.
- “The Blue Lagoon.” This is a cheesy movie perhaps, but it’s the only cheesy movie worth enough to make the list of best movies about survival. The romantic tale of two children stranded on an island, who happen to grow up to be the stunningly beautiful Brooke Shields and Christopher Atkins. Way better than the sequel, which starred Milla Jovovich and Brian Krause.
- “Into Thin Air: Death on Everest.” This may be a TV movie, but it’s still deserves to make the list of best movies about survival. Based on the best selling non-fiction book by adventurer and journalist, Jon Krakauer, this is the real life chronicle of a disastrous journey to the top of Mount Everest.
- “Babe: Pig in the City.” Not every one of the best films about survival have to take place in the wild. Sometimes a little pig can feel like a fish out of water in the big city. This movie got a bum rap when it first came out, but with a fresh perspective that comes with the passing of time, it’s definitely worth a second chance.
- “The Edge.” Long before Alec Baldwin was everyone’s favorite comic actor, he was a really great dramatic actor and leading man. In “The Edge,” he holds his own against the legendary thespian Anthony Hopkins.
- “Into the Wild.” Emile Hirsch stars as Christopher McCandless in the second entry based on a book by Jon Krakauer on the list of the best movies about survival. Directed by Sean Penn, another highlight of this film is the original soundtrack by Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder.
- “Deliverance.” Next time you want to have a boys weekend out in the wilderness, you might want to take a moment and remember the film “Deliverance.” If you still decide to go, and you hear the faint strains of banjo music, run!
- “The River Wild.” This movie proves that there’s more to fear in the best movies about survival than nature itself. Kevin Bacon plays a maniacal crook to perfection, and Meryl Streep delivers a powerful performance, as always, in this edge of your raft thrill ride.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
Pro Wrestling Tales That Will Make You Feel Like Fighting
Don't get too riled up.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.