As trailers begin surfacing for Oliver Stone's "Money Never Sleeps," people are looking back to his first financial film, "Wall Street," one of the 10 best movies about Wall Street ever made. In fact, many people consider it the cream of the crop. Stone has a lot to live up to and hopes are high he will deliver. In anticipation, here's a list of the 10 best movies about Wall Street ever made.
- "Wall Street" As mentioned, most people consider this the best of the best movies about Wall Street. Gordon Gecko (Michael Douglas) teaches a young stockbroker (Charlie Sheen) that, "Greed, for lack of a better word, is good… Greed works." Given the state of the world economy, it seems a lot of real stockbrokers took these words to heart, too.
- "Trading Places" Not many of the best movies about Wall Street are comedies, but this classic pairing of Eddie Murphy and Dan Aykroyd earns a spot on the list. Two old, curmudgeonly, rich brothers (played brilliantly by Don Ameche and Ralph Bellamy) bet a dollar to see what would happen if a wealthy yuppie and a street hustler are forced to exchange lives. When the victims discover the plot, they conspire to turn the tables on the old coots.
- "Working Girl" This is the only film to make the list of the best movies about Wall Street to have female lead characters, showing moviegoers that women can be cutthroat, too. "Working Girl" teamed Harrison Ford, Sigourney Weaver, and Melanie Griffith, and propelled Griffith to mainstream success and an Oscar nod.
- "The Pursuit Of Happyness" This film is perhaps the most uplifting of all the movies about Wall Street. It's the true story of a salesman from San Francisco, Chris Garner (Will Smith), who takes an unpaid internship in a broker-training program, but ends up living on the street with his young son, only to rise above adversity, and becomes a Wall Street legend.
- "Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room" Sadly this is not a work of fiction about unimaginable greed and corruption. Although it reads like a crime drama made up in the imagination of a Hollywood screenwriter, it is the true story of one of corporate America's biggest scandals involving deceit, theft, and cover-ups.
- "American Psycho" Christian Bales' spine-tingling performance as an investment banking executive by day and serial killer by night makes this one of the best movies about Wall Street. Because of the overwhelming violence towards women, controversy swirled around this psychological drama during and after production, but it quickly became a cult classic.
- "Boiler Room" Giovanni Ribisi plays a budding young stockbroker who unknowingly gets mixed up in a brokerage firm in the practice of scamming its clients. It's a fascinating look into the seedy underbelly of corrupt trading and one of the best movies about Wall Street.
- "The Secret of My Succe$s" In a classic case of mistaken identity, Michael J. Fox plays a young man who moves from Kansas to New York for a job in high finance but ends up in the mailroom. He pretends to be an executive, resulting in lots of Marx Brothers-type slapstick with Fox changing clothes in the elevator just in the nick of time. Though not as intense as many of the films to make the list of the best movies about Wall Street, Fox is, as always, charming and it's nice to see the good guy win once in a while.
- "Other People’s Money" Danny DeVito plays the Dunkin' Donut-eating Larry the Liquidator in this romantic comedy disguised as a movie about Wall Street. DeVito's character tries to "play God with other people's money" in an attempt to takeover a small town company. He claims, "Whoever has the most when he dies wins," but in the end needs to decide between love and greed.
"The Family Man" Nicolas Cage plays a young, driven stock broker who gets a glimpse of what life would have been like if he had made choices in this "It's a Wonderful Life" take on movies about Wall Street.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert ...
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…