When it comes to choosing the 10 best movies about witches, your options are unlimited. Hollywood has always had a fascination with witches. Whether they're practicing black or white magic or simply trying to get through the challenges of every day life, their antics won't disappoint you.
- "The Blair Witch Project." Considered one of the creepiest movies of all time, "The Blair Witch Project" is the story of a group of film students who set out to make a documentary about a local legend. Lost in the woods, they soon discover that the infamous witch might not be a legend after all. Lots of jump-in-your-seat moments that are made better by the fact that you never actually get to see the witch.
- "Practical Magic." This movie is the story of two witch sisters (Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman) who are victims of an ancient curse: any man they love will die. A romantic comedy at its best, it delves into the dark side when the sisters are forced to kill Kidman’s lover, who then refuses to stay dead. No need to worry, though–in the end, the power of love triumphs.
- "The Craft." A group of outcast teenagers delve into the dark arts and discover that their magic actually works. Not surprisingly, they start using their newfound powers to get everything they want, even if it means hurting those around them. What makes this one the best movies about witches is the ending, which features an impressive confrontation among members of the group.
- "Harry Potter." Possibly the top contender as the most popular story in a list of the best movies about witches, Harry Potter follows the story of three teen wizards learning the craft and fighting the evil of the legendary Lord Voldemort.
- "The Witches of Eastwick." This film is an adaptation of John Updike's novel of the same name starring Jack Nicholson, Susan Sarandon, Cher and Michelle Pfeiffer. The movie shows Nicholson’s character seducing all three women and then later paying for it as the women realize they’ve been fooled.
- "Hocus Pocus." "Hocus Pocus" is a Disney fantasy film starring Bette Midler and Sarah Jessica Parker. The film is about three Salem witches coming back to life. Awakened by a group of teenagers, the witches set out to take over the town and avenge their death, which happened 300 years ago. Good wins in the end thanks to the teens' wit and the witches turn to dust as the sun comes up.
- "I Married a Witch." The film follows the life of the Wooley family males, who were cursed in the 1700's and are doomed to always marry the “wrong person.” Enter Jennifer, the witch who originally put the curse on the Wooley men, whose spirit has just been awakened by an incident involving lightning. It’s not so great that she ends up falling in love with the contemporary Wooley. Lots of oddball, funny moments and a happy ending make this one of best movies about witches.
- "The Crucible." Technically, The Crucible is not a movie about witches, but it's based on the real life events that resulted in the hanging of 19 people accused of witchcraft in Salem, Massachusetts in 1692. In the movie, Abigail Williams has been scorned by John Proctor after their affair and, as a result, she starts rumors of witchcraft. Things unravel rapidly and sentences and executions are soon dealt.
- "The Wizard of Oz." Possibly one of the best movies about witches of all time, it features the Wicked Witch of the West lusting after Dorothy’s ruby slippers and seeking revenge for her sister’s death. A black dress and a black pointy hat has become the typical visual representation of a witch.
- "Suspiria." Dario Argento's masterpiece follows the story of a young girl who arrives at a ballet academy only to discover it is run by a coven of witches. Rated by Entertainment Weekly as one of the top 25 scariest films of all time, the movie has a clever use of imagery and lots of macabre scenes and rituals.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …