10 Best Movies Based On Comic Books
It’s no easy task to narrow down the 10 best movies based on comic books, and when you count graphic novels, it becomes even tougher. The list surprisingly only includes five super-hero franchises. Who knew there were so many other kinds of movies based on comic books?
- “V for Vendetta.” This adaptation of a graphic novel stars Natalie Portman as a young woman in a dystopian future-Britain and Hugo Weaving as the mysterious V.
- “X-Men” and “X2: X-Men United.” Maybe it’s cheating to count two movies for the same spot, but there are too many good franchises out there that have excellent sequels. “X2: X-Men United” was a worthy follow-up to the first film, with new characters and interesting special effects.
- “Sin City.” Based on a series of dark comic books by Frank Miller, “Sin City” is star-studded, disturbing and visually striking.
- “Road to Perdition.” “Road to Perdition” is another graphic novel adaptation, starring Tom Hanks, Jude Law, Paul Newman, and Daniel Craig.
- “Superman: The Movie.” Forget Brandon Routh, forget Dean Cain, forget Tom Welling. Christopher Reeve will always be the ultimate Superman, and that is why this particular film is on the list of 10 best movies based on comic books.
- “Batman Begins” and “The Dark Knight.” This darker, more realistic resurrection of the Batman franchise garnered critical acclaim and a huge fan base. Heath Ledger’s performance in “The Dark Knight” was especially compelling.
- “Spider-Man” and “Spider-Man 2.” The first two films in the “Spider-Man” series were critical and commercial successes, featuring Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst, and James Franco.
- “Ghost World.” “Ghost World” is the most unique out of the 10 best movies based on comic books, mainly because it’s about the everyday lives of two teenage girls. Thora Birch and Scarlett Johansson star, and the film also features Steve Buscemi.
- “Iron Man.” Robert Downey, Jr. plays Tony Stark, genius inventor and playboy, exceptionally well. He brings humor and personality to an already awesome superhero story earning this movie a spot on the list of the best movies based on comic books.
- “A History of Violence.” Based on the graphic novel, “A History of Violence”, this film stars Viggo Mortensen as a small-town restaurant owner who may or may not have a shady past.