10 Best Movies With Dancing
Can you name 10 best movies with dancing in them? Opinions vary, but the following films are some of the best dance movies around. Whether you enjoy watching ballroom dancing or ballet, blues dancing or street dancing, this list has them all. The film titles are arranged alphabetically for your convenience.
- “Billy Elliott” “Billy Elliott” is a 2000 British drama about dance. The story centers on a talented young boy caught between his love of ballet and his family’s set ways. This dance movie stars Jamie Bell, Julie Walters and Jean Heywood.
- “A Chorus Line” “A Chorus Line” is a 1985 musical film about Broadway dancers. The story follows several hopefuls as they try out for a part in a new musical. Directed by Richard Attenborough, the movie stars Michael Douglas, Terrence Mann and Michael Blevins.
- “Dirty Dancing” “Dirty Dancing” is a 1987 romantic movie starring Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey. During summer vacation with her family, a young woman falls in love with the camp’s dance instructor.
- “Kyoko” “Kyoko,” also known as “Dance With Me,” is a 2000 Japanese movie inspired by a 1995 novel. The movie follows a Japanese woman who travels to America to find the soldier who taught her Latin dance when she was a child. The movie stars Saki Takaoko, Masayuki Shida and Patricia Alvarez.
- “Mad Hot Ballroom” “Mad Hot Ballroom” is a 2005 documentary film that focuses on students in several New York City elementary schools. The kids learn ballroom dancing and compete in a city-wide competition. The film features Heather Berman, Emma Therese Biegacki and Paul Daggett.
- “Save The Last Dance” “Save The Last Dance” is a 2001 romantic drama starring Julia Stiles and Sean Patrick Thomas as a Midwestern white girl and a black teen from Chicago’s South Side. The interracial couple work together to help her train for a dance audition.
- “Shall We Dance?” “Shall We Dance?” is a 1996 Japanese movie that references a famous song from the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical, “The King and I.” Starring Koji Yakusho, Tamiyo Kusakari and Naoto Takenaka, the film follows an unhappy Japanese accountant who discovers a new passion when he secretly takes up ballroom dancing.
- “Shall We Dance?” “Shall We Dance?” is also a 2004 remake of the 1996 Japanese film. The remake follows an estate lawyer who signs up for ballroom dance lessons when he gets his first look at the instructor. This romantic comedy stars Richard Gere, Jennifer Lopez, and Susan Sarandon.
- “Step Up” “Step Up” is a 2006 dance-and-romance movie starring Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan. It follows the story of a disadvantaged street dancer and a privileged modern dancer who work together to change their futures.
- “Strictly Ballroom” “Strictly Ballroom” is a 1992 Australian romantic comedy starring Paul Mercurio, Tara Morice and Bill Hunter. This movie with dancing centers on an Australian ballroom dancer and his struggle to establish a personal style.