10 Best Movies Released On DVD
The 10 best movies released on DVD can be a deceiving list to compile. Some of the earliest and greatest movie classics did not survive long enough to make it to DVD, and others were released on video tape but never made the jump to DVD. As you look over the list fo the 10 best movies released on DVD, you should make them part of your collection in case they do not make it to Blu-Ray.
- "The Ten Commandments" (1956). This is one of the movies that created the legend of actor Charlton Heston. "The Ten Commandments" (1956) is such an epic film that it has to be put on two DVDs. The DVD release helps to make details such as the expansive and real sets stand out clearer which adds an impressive element to the movie.
- "Casablanca" (1942). "Casablanca" (1942) was not released to DVD until 2000. It is considered a classic not only for the fine acting of Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman, but also because of the accuracy with which it depcited the Nazi Germany regime at a time when Hitler was actually in power.
- "The Godfather" (1972). "The Godfather" is considered one of the greatest movies ever made, but it was not put out on DVD until 2001. This Oscar-winning movie helped to launch the career of Al Pacino and contains one of Marlon Brando's greatest performances. This is definitely one of the 10 best movies released on DVD.
- "Star Wars - Episode IV: A New Hope" (1977). George Lucas knows how to market his movies, and that is why the release of the "Star Wars - Episode IV: A New Hope" to DVD in 2004 was one of the most anticipated releases ever. Lucas re-worked the movie, added in previously deleted scenes and created scenes he wanted to do when he made the movie but could not because of the technology.
- "E.T. - The Extra Terrestrial" (1982). For some reason Steven Spielberg was able to delay the DVD release of this classic movie all the way up to 2005. When it finally did come out, it became one of the best-selling DVDs of all time.
- "Avatar" (2009). It did not take James Cameron long to cash in on his highly successful movie "Avatar" (2009). The theater release and DVD release of the movie were both done in 2009. Cameron anticipates releasing a 3D Blu-Ray of the movie in 2010 immediately after the movie's second theater run is completed. This is one of the best movies ever made along with being one of the 10 best movies released on DVD.
- "The Godfather: Part II" (1974). The DVD release of "Godfather Part II" (1974) in 2001 made as much of an impact as the release of "The Godfather" (1972). The deleted scenes and biographical information on the making of the movie helped to make this one of the most popular DVDs of 2001.
- "Goodfellas" (1990). Another classic gangster movie that eventually found its way to DVD is "Goodfellas" (1990). When it was released to DVD in 2007 it quickly became one of the 10 best movies released on DVD.
- "Pulp Fiction" (1994). There are many Quentin Tarantino fans still trying to figure out what "Pulp Fiction" (1994) is supposed to be about. In 2006, those fans got the chance to examine the movie as much as they want when it came out on DVD. The director's explanations in the DVD commentary are a popular feature of this release.
- "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" (1966). This is the one entry on the list of the 10 best movies released to DVD that seemed to take the longest. This classic Clint Eastwood western did not make in on to DVD shelves until 2006. The clarity of the DVD picture made it well worth the wait.