Can you name the 10 best murder movies of all time? Crime movies are packed with thrills, chills, and suspense, and everyone has his favorites. The following films involve murder plots, serial killers, and other deadly crimes. They represent some of the best murder movies ever produced. See if your “ten best” list includes some of the following films.
- “Dial M For Murder.” “Dial M For Murder” is a 1954 Alfred Hitchcock film starring Ray Milland, Grace Kelly, and Robert Cummings. The film focuses on a retired professional tennis player who arranges to have his wife killed. Not only is this one a great murder movie, it ranks among the best classic films of all time.
- “Psycho.” “Psycho” is a 1960 psychological thriller, also from Alfred Hitchcock. He adapted the movie from a 1959 Robert Bloch novel based on the crimes of Ed Gein, a Wisconsin serial killer. Considered one of Hitchcock’s best films, it stars Anthony Perkins and Janet Leigh.
- “The Silence Of The Lambs.” “The Silence Of The Lambs” is a 1991 murder movie that blends crime and horror. Based on a Thomas Harris novel, the Oscar-winning film tells the story of a clever psychiatrist and a cannibalistic serial killer. The film stars Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins.
- “Basic Instinct.” “Basic Instinct” is a 1992 murder movie starring Michael Douglas and Sharon Stone. The film centers on a police detective investigating the murder of a rock star and an attractive crime writer thought to be involved in the murder. The controversial movie displays overt sexuality and graphic violence.
- “Hamlet.” “Hamlet” is a 1996 movie based on William Shakespeare’s famous tragedy of crime and murder. It stars Kenneth Branagh in the title role and was adapted and directed by him. The rich theatrical film features a stellar cast that includes Derek Jacobi, Julie Christie, Kate Winslet, and Judi Dench
- “Romeo and Juliet.” “Romeo and Juliet” is a 1996 film adaptation of another famous William Shakespeare play. Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes star in the title roles. This modernization replaces the warring Montague and Capulet families with business empires–and swords, with guns.
- “Kiss The Girls.” “Kiss The Girls” is a 1997 murder movie based on a James Patterson novel. The film stars Morgan Freeman as a detective and forensic psychologist. Ashley Judd plays the role of a young woman who is kidnapped, drugged, and held captive by a sadomasochistic killer.
- “The Bone Collector.” “The Bone Collector” is a 1999 movie starring Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie. Based on a Jeffery Deaver crime novel, the film tells the story of a quadriplegic detective and ex-forensic expert, and the female patrol officer who partners with him to solve a string of serial murders
- “Summer Of Sam.” “Summer Of Sam” is a 1999 film directed and produced by Spike Lee. He based the film on the infamous Son of Sam serial murders. The movie focuses on David Berkowitz, also known as the .44 Caliber Killer, and New York’s summer of terror in 1977. Michael Badalucco stars as Berkowitz.
- “Zodiac.” “Zodiac” is a 2007 thriller based on Robert Graysmith’s best-selling nonfiction book. It recounts the hunt for the man called Zodiac, a notorious serial killer who terrorized the San Francisco Bay area in the late 1960s and early 1970s. The film stars Jake Gyllenhaal, Mark Ruffalo, and Robert Downey, Jr.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.