The 10 best New York rap lyrics are from hip-hop artists who grew up in that state. Rappers take pride in where they come from, especially if it is New York. The 10 best New York rap lyrics look at the positive, and negative sides of the big apple.
- "I made the Yankee hat more famous then a Yankee can, you should know I bleed blue, but I ain't a Crip though." by Jay-Z. The entire song "Empire State of Mind" is filled with the best New York rap lyrics. This humorous, and cleaver lyric incorporates the New York Yankees. When Jay-Z raps about bleeding blue he is referring to the New York Yankee color.
- "Drug dealers drive around looking hard, knowing they're sending their brothers and sisters to the graveyard." by Kool G Rap. This 10 best New York rap lyric depicts the hard life. It's about drug dealers selling to addicts, even though it might eventually lead to death. The truthful rap lyric is from "Streets of New York."
- "Sometimes I feel like my only friend, is the city I live in, is beautiful Brooklyn." by Mos Def. This is one of the 10 best New York rap lyrics because Mos Def speaks positively about his city. He takes pride in where he grew up. It's a lyric from "Brooklyn," which is a song about the city in New York.
- "In the streets of New York you can't trust nobody. Niggas will run up on you wit a 12 guage shoty loyalty comes free." by Lloyd Banks. The rap song "Southside Story" is about the dark side of New York. Lloyd raps about how as a child he was exposed to death. He says it's hard to trust anyone in the streets of New York.
- "Like a momma you birth me Brooklyn you nursed me schooled me wit Hard knocks better than Berkeley." by Jay-Z. This rap lyric comes from "Hello Brooklyn 2.0." Jay-Z raps about how hustling on the streets was better than an education at Berkeley. The song features Lil Wayne performing the hook.
- "I grew up on the crime side, the New York Times side, staying alive was no jive." by Raekwon the Chef. During Raekwon the Chef's verse he talks about how even to stay alive was hard. He grew up where many murders occurred, and were featured in the newspaper. It's from the song "C.R.E.A.M." by Wu-Tang Clan.
- "Wherever I go my crew is true to swarm, got stripes in New York like Yankee uniforms." by The Notorious B.I.G. The song "Freestyle" features New York rap lyrics from Notorious, and The Lox. The best lyric comes from Notorious because of his play on the word stripes. The New York Yankees uniforms have stripes, and having stripes in the ghetto means being respected.
- "There's no place like home New York, New York. I run dis city, I don't dance around like Diddy." by 50 Cent. This New York rap lyric is from "Niggas." The lyric is comical because it lightly pokes fun at Diddy, a hip-hop musician who dances. The rap song also features Biggie.
- "Welcome to the melting pot, corners where we sellin' rock. Afrika Bambataa shit, home of the hip-hop." by Jay-Z. This is one of the 10 best New York rap lyrics because Jay-Z references the man who pioneered hip-hop. Afrika Bambataa brought hip-hop to New York, and Jay-Z pays homage to that in his lyric. This lyric is from "New York State of Mind."
- "We got stickup kids, corrupt cops, and crack rocks and stray shots, all on the block that stays hot." by Inspector Deck. This New York rap lyric is from Wu-Tang Clan member Inspector Deck. In one sentience he sums up the dark side of New York. It's from the song "C.R.E.A.M." which stands for, cash rules everything around me.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
As Boogie Nights Turns 20, Here’s What You Didn’t Kno...
Fun facts about Paul Thomas Anderson, Dirk Diggler, Rollergirl and more.
19 Men’s Grooming Gaffes That Totally Turn Women Off
And what to do about them.