Old time gospel songs bring back childhood memories of church on Sunday mornings, or on Sunday afternoon in your Grandmother's kitchen. Some are absolutely timeless. Here is a list of the 10 best old time gospel songs of all time. See how many you remember!
- "Amazing Grace." Oh how sweet the sound. Everybody knows at least the first verse of this one. It is the most popular of all the old time gospel songs. It is said to be sung approximately one million times per year.
- "How Great Thou Art." This one is a Southern gospel favorite. For some reason, the ladies like to hit that soprano note they've been holding on to. It was a staple song at Billy Graham crusades in the 50's.
- "He's Got The Whole World." This old time gospel song was taught to young children, and still is today! Its a popular tune for Sunday School and Vacation Bible Schools. The hand gestures that go along with the song are fun for kids too.
- "I'll Fly Away." This old time gospel song is catchy. The upbeat timing of this song will have your toe tapping. It is a popular tune among bluegrass pickers too. You can usually find someone playing it at any good old fashion Bluegrass festival.
- "I Love To Tell The Story." Congregations everywhere still pick up this old gospel hymn. It has a soft, lilting melody that fills the soul. Country singer Alan Jackson even recorded this one in 2008 at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville.
- "Love Lifted Me." Here's another one that makes you feel like swaying back and forth. Good rocking chair music and can work as a good lullaby.
- "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot." This old gospel song was sung by the workers as the railroads were being built. It is a slow melody, but a great piece for harmony, especially for baritones!
- "The Old Rugged Cross." Again, another old gospel tune that is still used in congregations today. A real testament to faith. It was first sung in revival meetings in the early 1900's.
- "What A Friend We Have In Jesus." This song was used many times during times of sorrow, like a funeral. A great reminder that you always have at least one friend!
- "Hallelujah! We Shall Rise!" This old time gospel song really gets the juices flowing. Really gets you in the spirit! Makes you want to jump up and testify!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …