10 Best PC Downloadable Games
It's hard to list the 10 Best PC Downloadable Games. So many of the games we played as kids and teens are now available for free download as well as many of our favorite FPS, MMORPG or RTS titles. These are the best of the best: the 10 Best PC Downloadable Games.
- If you loved "Civilization" then you’ll love "Freeciv". If strategy and world building games are your cup of tea then this free and open-source strategy game is for you. A Civilization clone with the same addictive game play.
- Microsoft’s entry into the 10 Best PC Downloadable Games arena is "Allegiance". Overlooked at it release, the game plays like a space fighting sim, but with a twist. Each side also have a commander that can direct all his units and resources like a strategy game. This commander gives orders to the other players based on what he sees on the global map.
- "Dungeon and Dragon Online" is a free downladable PC game from Turbine. Using the same rule set as the old pen and paper game, this game doesn't need you to imagine anything. The graphics are visually stunning and character models are industry leading. The first mainstream MMORPG to jump on the free to play bandwagon, Turbine has now made this game available for free download.
- "America's Army" was developed by the US Military as a recruiting tool. Still, it became one of the best shooters developed running the Unreal graphics engine. With a loyal following this game has still has an active community, vibrant website and regular game updates.
- "Command & Conquer" was the big RTS breakout. Pitting the GDI versus the Brotherhood of Nod, C&C established the foundation of play style for many RTS titles still played today. For its twelfth anniversary EA is giving the game and its expansion pack away for free.
- The suspense/horror, first person shooter industry was born with "F.E.A.R." Not a big winner in the single player arena, it shone as a multiplayer fragfest. This stand alone multiplayer client is now available free from the original software developer, Point-Vivendi.
- "Starsiege: Tribes" was a game ahead of its time, named to GameSpot’s greatest games of all time. The leader in team based, first person shooters this game invented it all: character classes/loadouts, in game vehicles and differing game objectives. "Tribes" was released for free back in 2004 and can still be found with a quick Google search.
- "Lord of the Rings Online" was based on the visionary works of J.R.R. Tolkein. The story line and amazing visuals were originally available by purchase only. The game recently moved to the free to play platform and can be downloaded from their site. So choose Human or Elf and grab your sword!
- "Hidden & Dangerous" took the third person shooter genre and added squad based tactics. The game introduced strategy and stealth to the shooter platform, something not seen before its release. The deluxe version is now available as a free download and includes an expansion pack. Standing proud at a respectful number nine on this 10 best PC downloadable games list.
- "Warhammer Online", heralded as the "World of Warcraft" killer, rounds out our top 10 best downloadable PC games. While it never quite lived up to its hype, this game offered an impressive mix of PvE and PvP game play. Now available as a free download, this game is free to play to level ten—after that you'll have to pay a monthly subscription.