Curious about the 10 best places to go in April? April is the month for laughs, and several festivals focusing on just that take place all over the world throughout the month. Those, of course, are not the only things going on in April, so be sure to keep your options open.
- Australia. Of the top three comedy festivals in the world, one takes place in Melbourne, Australia. It’s called the Melbourne International Comedy Festival. It lasts for three and a half weeks, during which time over 1,500 comedians perform 288 shows.
- Spain. It’s called the Dance of the Horned Man, a cultural folk festival that takes place in the Girona region, north of Barcelona, in a town called Cornella del Terri. In April, dancers fill the streets. Dressed in ruby red and wearing horns, they dance their way through town. How many times in your life are you going to see that?
- Luxembourg. Art on Cows. Yes, that’s what I said. Art on Cows. It’s a celebration and art competition held in Luxembourg. Basically people paint art on cows and hope they don’t get kicked in the process. One entrant had two topless pole dancers on the flank. Never let it be said that Luxembourg doesn’t know art.
- Cape Town. There are few music lovers who haven’t heard of the Cape Town International Jazz Festival. It’s considered the single most prestigious event that takes place on the continent of Africa. Over forty local and international artists perform on five stages over two days in April. Though it only started in 2000, it has rapidly risen to be one of the best musical festivals in the world.
- Hawaii. Only in Hawaii would they have the World’s Largest Hula Competition. Maybe because it’s the only place that people hula dance? This isn’t a loud and boisterous competition though; silence is practically sacred, so if you like to get loud and rowdy this isn’t the place for you.
- Austin. It’s called SPAMARAMA and it almost didn’t get off the ground because the creators of SPAM didn’t take too kindly to a festival that made fun of their product. Its official title is the Pandemonious Potted Pork Festival, and all it does is make fun of SPAM. Its main attraction is the cooking competition, where you can get awards for best and worst tasting and several other categories.
- Independence, Kansas. Independence is home to the William Inge Theatre Festival, a celebrated April festival for famed writer William Inge, who was born there. It draws playwrights, actors and directors who attend public workshops, performances and social events. It was founded in 1981 and since then writers like Arthur Miller, Neil Simon and others have attended. It takes place in the third week of April and lasts for four days.
- Louisville, Kentucky. It's called the Running of the Rodents, and it’s exactly what it sounds like. Taking place at Spalding University, during the campus Rat Week (don’t ask why they have a Rat Week) the students race rats. They claim that caring for and training the rats teaches students responsibility and important information about behavior modification, and we believe them. There’s also a Rodent Parade, Rat Hat Contest and a Fruit-Loop Eating Contest.
- Laurel, Mississippi. It first took place in 1994, and every year since the National Anvil Shooting Contest has been held at Laurel’s Wood Expo. The rules are simple: the anvil has to be real and weigh at least 100 pounds, and no more then two pounds of black powder can be used. They are proud of the fact that no one has ever been hit by a falling anvil or lost a limb during the competition.
- Worldwide. It has to be mentioned: April Fools' Day. No one is sure how it started but it’s a favorite holiday for pretty much everyone at some point. It’s an excuse to play pranks, have fun and get in trouble without actually getting in trouble. There may not be a festival dedicated to it, but everyone celebrates it with their own personal festivals.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."