With the academic year steadily approaching, you're probably looking for the 10 best places to travel to in August. These last-minute destinations are sure to make the most of your limited time and will definitely ensure that the last month of your summer is one to remember. Forego the idea of backpacking across a continent for a month, or spending several weeks holed up in a youth hostel—instead, these cosmopolitan destinations have so much to do, you can spend a few days there and feel like an entire month has gone by. Pack your bags and bring plenty of sunscreen, here are the best places to travel to in August.
- Las Vegas. You've always heard people yell, "Vegas baby, Vegas!" Live the "Swingers-inspired" dream with a four day stint in this sea of techni-colored neon and loose morals. Be sure to set yourself a spending limit as to not put yourself in debt, and don't think that you need to live on the strip to have the full Vegas experience. Its eclectic mix of debauchery and industry make Las Vegas one of the best places to travel to in August.
- Yellowstone National Park. Immerse yourself in America's natural beauty by planning a road trip out to the nation's most famous national park. Stand in awe of the gorgeous mountains and take some time to reconnect with nature by taking a hike or pitching a tent in one of the park's designated camping areas.
- Chicago. With a rich cultural history and some of the best eating in the Midwest, Chicago is definitely one of the best places to travel to in August. There's a plethora of architecture for people who love to bask in its urban history, and the parks are great for those who want to spend a little more time outdoors.
- New York City. Considered the cultural and financial epicenter of the world, The City That Never Sleeps is a great destination for a day-trip or a weekend excursion. From the Bronx to Manhattan, there are plenty of cultural hotspots and fabulous restaurants that can satisfy any traveler's desires.
- San Francisco. The City By The Bay is a great way to enjoy the weather of The West Coast without feeling too bogged down by the blatant cosmopolitan atmosphere of Los Angeles. There's plenty of sightseeing destinations and shops to satisfy your travel bug and ensure that you never forget your time there.
- Seattle. This is one of the best places to travel to in August because there's a lot to do, but you can skip some of it and feel like you had a great trip. Museums and parks aside, this is one of the best cities to simply walk outside and enjoy the view around you. Be sure to ascend the Space Needle and take a few pictures—you're Seattle experience won't be complete without it.
- Washington, DC. The nation's capital is one of the best places to travel to in August because of its mix of historical landmarks and great shopping. The Mall is a fantastic place to enjoy a great summer's day, and the national monuments are numerous enough that you can spread visiting them out over a few days.
- San Diego. If you love museums, this is the destination for you. The Pop Culture Museum is great for media fanatics, while the Air and Space Museum is fantastic for history nuts. Plus, the San Diego Zoo is great for the entire family. This Southern California destination is easily one of the best places to travel to in August.
- Disneyland. Satisfy your inner child by traveling back to The Happiest Place on Earth. The eclectic mix of rides is perfect for young people and older visitors alike, and seeing cast members all over the park is sure to rekindle only your best childhood memories.
- Honolulu. Splurge a little bit and finally realize your dreams to visit the islands of Hawaii. The tanned bodies and sandy beaches are sure to excite, and indulging in the local culture is as easy as walking outside of your hotel. It's mix of simplistic pleasures and burgeoning tourism makes this spot one of the best places to travel to in August.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
What Your Shoes Tell Her About You
How footwear can kick-start your dating game—or kick dirt on your grave.
10 Real-Life Heroes Who Inspired Indiana Jones
Legend has it, these guys are the real MVPs.