10 Best Places to Travel on a Budget: Europe
If you’re looking for the best places to travel on a budget in Europe, skip the London/Paris/Rome circuit and explore some of the continent’s commonly overlooked destinations.
- Prague, Czech Republic. Anyone you ask will tell you the same thing: Prague is the best place to travel on a budget in Europe. Cheap beer, a barrage of interesting architectural gems and a riveting nightlife scene all contribute to Prague's reputation as the most must-see destination in the center of the continent.
- Black Sea Coast, Bulgaria. Enjoy sandy beaches without having to splurge on food and accommodation.
- Krakow, Poland. One of Central Europe’s most important historical gems, Krakow can also serve as a day base for those interested in exploring the nearby Auschwitz Memorial.
- Ljubljana, Slovenia. Once you learn to pronounce it, you’ll come to love it, with its myriad outdoor cafes, castle and compact city center.
- Bucharest, Romania. The Romanian capital has been experiencing something of a cultural resurgence in recent years, and has emerged as a major center for contemporary art exhibitions. For this reason, it ranks as one of the best places to travel on a budget in Europe.
- Berlin, Germany. Compared to other Western European capitals, Berlin is quite cheap. For nightlife, it is absolutely the best place to travel on a budget in Europe – visit the Berghain, which DJ Magazine ranked as the world’s number one best club in 2009.
- Poprad, Slovakia. Slovakia is one of the best places to travel on a budget in Europe that hasn’t been ruined by the tourist hordes. This small town is nestled in the Tatra Mountains, where you can enjoy skiing in the winter and hiking in the summer months. It is also a good place to try the local favorite dish, halusky (pasta with sheep’s cheese, sour cream and bacon.)
- Budapest, Hungary. The Hungarian capital is cheap by Western standards yet also quite cosmopolitan – by those same standards.
- Wroclaw, Poland. Wroclaw is a student town, so it’s bristling with young energy, and features an exciting nightlife scene, as well as an impressive town square.
- Steyr, Austria. This hidden gem of a town may be the best place to travel on a budget in Europe for lovers of Gothic architecture.
Posted on: Apr. 22, 2010