The 10 best places to travel in July are cool and fun. Pleasant, seasonable summer weather makes these ten locations ideal for a July vacation. You will, at least, avoid the risk of heat stroke that comes with July vacations in places like Florida and Arizona.
- Seattle is located on the Puget Sound. Fishing and sailing opportunities are abundant. A Mariner baseball game at Safeco Field or a Sounders soccer game at Qwest Stadium on a comfortably cool evening are a must. The summer Seafair festival provides a lot of July activities though the hydros usual run during the first week of August.
- Portland, Oregon is about three hours south of Seattle, along the Columbia River. Boating and sailing the Columbia are popular. Windsurfing at Columbia Gorge and ocean surfing on the Pacific Ocean are about an hour drive from Portland. Portland will soon be adding its own MLS soccer team, the Timbers, and NASCAR is returning to the city. The Portland International Beer festival is another standard July activity.
- Vancouver, recent host of the winter Olympics, is about three hours north of Seattle. Fishing, boating and sailing are standard Vancouver summer activities for this vacation location. Vancouver’s Granville Island market is a fun spot to grab a local micro brew. Nearby Whistler, host of the downhill skiing events, has outstanding hiking trails.
- Alaska, land of the midnight sun, will pleasantly surprise summer travelers. The best option for going to Alaska is a cruise ship out of Seattle. Those cruise ships make numerous stops at the several small communities that lie in the southeast of Alaska. Seeing the glaciers from the deck of a cruise ship is simply awesome. Hunting and fishing in Alaska is like breathing air in most places: everyone does it.
- The Northeast is a wonderful option for those who prefer to stay on the east coast. Boston, with its proximity to the Atlantic Ocean, does not typically get as hot as most other east coast cities. Tickets to a Red Sox-Yankees game at Fenway guarantee a wonderful evening. The art scene and history of Boston guarantee loads of July activities.
- Portland, Maine is a top ten July vacation location. It is like Boston without crowds. Sailing and kayaking on Casco Bay are great activities before retiring to a lobster dinner accompanied by one of the many fine micro brews available in the greater Portland area. Portland Seadog baseball will provide an entertaining evening of good old minor league baseball.
- San Francisco is the “cool” place to vacation in July. The Pacific Ocean provides protection against agonizing summer heat. Fine restaurants like those at Fisherman’s Wharf will keep you busy in the evenings. Giants and A’s baseball provide fun entertainment. The beach at Santa Cruz is only an hour away.
- Napa Valley, a short drive from San Francisco, is the premier wine region in the country. Rent a limo and sip away. Hot air ballooning provides a great summer time adventure.
- Hawaii is a cool July vacation location despite its southerly location! Honolulu’s Waikiki beach is the best mix of urban activity and surfing in the world. The north shore has some of the finest surfing on the planet. Giovanni's shrimp truck in the northeast corner is a perfect local lunch spot.
- The Big Island is the place to be if you are looking for the rural landscape, snorkling and fishing. Kealakekua Bay has the best snorkeling. The variety of activities on this island of black sand beaches, volcanic activity and fourteen thousand foot mountain peaks is infinite.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
21 Fantastic Facts About Ronda Rousey
This trivia’s like her fights: quick and jarring.