If you enjoy some elements of punk rock but aren't into the hardcore stuff, you might want to check out this list of the 10 best pop punk bands. Pop punk emerged in the late '80s and early '90s, fusing many of the aspects of punk rock with the catchier pop music. Whether you're a die-hard fan or just curious, give yourself a treat and fill your iPod with some music from the best pop punk bands around.
- All Time Low. Influenced by some of the greatest pop punk bands of all time, Blink 182 and Green Day, All Time Low is a great quartet that kicks out rocking tunes like "Hello Brooklyn" and "Damned If I Do Ya (Damned If I Don't)." Hailing from Baltimore, MD, the band is known for their rowdy live shows, complete with beach balls and Silly String.
- American Hi-Fi. Perhaps best known for their smash hit "Flavor of the Weak," American Hi-Fi was founded by drummer Stacy Jones (of Letters to Cleo and Veruca Salt fame). Despite some label trouble, early on, they took a 5-year studio break and then released the much-anticipated "Fight the Frequency."
- Blink 182. Trying to describe Blink 182 is like trying to describe key lime pie chewing gum, it's just something amazing, that's nearly impossible to put into words. Some of their biggest hits include "What's My Age Again" and "All the Small Things," but you're sure to love them all if you're into pop punk bands.
- Fall Out Boy. Bridging the gap between pop punk bands and the newly-emerging emo-pop scene, Fall Out Boy was formed in 2001 but didn't release their big breakout album for several more years. When "From Under the Cork Tree" was released in 2005, it quickly delivered the hits with "Sugar We're Going Down" and "Dance, Dance." In 2007, they would again rock Billboard charts with 'This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race."
- Wheatus. If you like edgy pop punk bands, you might want to check out the gritty rock tunes of Wheatus. Best known for their teenage outcast anthem, "Teenage Dirtbag," the band suffered some label backlash after refusing to lip sync an appearance on the UK show "Top of the Pops." The band responded by creating their own label and releasing a new album, amusingly titled "Suck Fony." Wonder who that's aimed at?
- Good Charlotte. Inspired after watching a Beastie Boys performance, twin brothers Joel and Benji Madden called upon fellow high school classmates and assembled this great pop punk band. Originally hailing from Maryland, they quickly re-established themselves in Washington, D.C. and began amassing fans. They are best-known for their hit "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.
- Green Day. Chances are, when you ask someone about pop punk, the name Green Day is going to come up sooner or later. Known for great hits like "Basket Case," "Longview" and "American Idiot," they were one of the first bands to spring forth and reintroduce pop punk to the grunge-saturated U.S. To date, they still maintain a large cult following and are easily recognizable as one of the best pop punk bands of all time.
- Sum 41. Having released "Screaming Bloody Murder," Sum 41 proves they haven't lost the gritty pop punk quality that first captivated crowds in 1996. Often referred to as a Canadian Blink-182, Sum 41 is best known for their great tunes and offbeat humor.
- The Spill Canvas. Singer and songwriter Nick Thomas had expected to promote himself as a solo acoustic emo act but growing popularity and a need for live performances soon helped The Spill Canvas develop into a full fledged band. For those who enjoy beautiful ballads as well as great pop punk bands, The Spill Canvas is a real musical treat.
- Simple Plan. Montreal-based punk pop group Simple Plan is often compared to the likes of Sum 41 and Good Charlotte, though the Canadians have their own unique and energetic sound. With hits like "Welcome to My Life" and "Crazy," it's no wonder that friends eagerly gobbled up their self-titled "Simple Plan" CD and are now hungry for more.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
Because for women, denim is truth serum.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”