With so much great music to choose from, selecting the ten best pop songs of 2007 is like trying to remember how many girls you dated in high school. But that might be easy for some. For those that have as hard remembering how much of a layer they are, here’s a list to keep up with those same stats.
- “Paper Planes”- M.I.A. M.I.A. jumped on the scene with this fun little song that later became an anthem for pot smoking, dope selling and overt street swagger. Few people still know what the song is about but it is a catchy tune that is sure to put a smile on anyone’s face who’s heard it before.
- “Umbrella”- Rhianna – This song was inescapable on the radio and on the TV. And TV doesn’t even play videos anymore. Her repetitive echo-like “ella, ella, ella…” has become the butt of many a joke but the money this song made was anything but funny. Solidifying Rhianna as one of the most famous pop stars in the world, this song has to go down and one of the best pop songs of 2007.
- “Flashing Lights”- Kanye West – Slow and melodic, it’s hard to tell what to make of this song at first listen. Kanye’s drawl like rap eventually grows on you and you soon find yourself bobbing your head to this tale of tabloid fame.
- “Teenagers”- My Chemical Romance – The band with the catchy name score big with this pop song and made everyone look forward to years of follow up hits.
- “Rehab”- Amy Winehouse – The fat black woman reborn into this scrawny white girl’s body sang her ass off in this song. Ms. Winehouse, the future tabloid celebrity took a page out of Billie Holiday’s drug addicted tome, but there is no denying her talent.
- “Misery Business”- Paramore – Somewhere along the line, rock recovered from grunge and found itself squarely in the middle of pop radio, with plenty of screaming young teens to prove it.
- “Apologize”- Timbaland – Timbaland took the fusion of hip-hop and pop to another level with this song. The crooning vocals of a true indie band helped push this one over the top. Timbo’s production is spot on as usual.
- “Grace Kelly”- Mika – This genre bending, blissful quip introduced the world to Mika, a genre bending, blissful singer who makes sounds no man should be capable of.
- “Please Don’t Stop the Music”- Rhianna – Another great song that put a Michael Jackson sample to good use. The hook to the song effectively uses Jacko’s voice to maximum effect. Who knew he was such a good backup singer.
- “Hey There Delilah”- Plain White T’s – This song helped usher in a new sound in rock/pop and hit huge on the charts. It also went on to be covered by a multitude of other bands.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert ...
What Makes Men Attractive to Women
What women want—confidence, a sense of humor and abs.