10 Best Portuguese Soccer Players
With their amazing skills on the field, the 10 best Portuguese soccer players are recognized not only by their country but the whole world. Here is a list of the best soccer players for Portugal.
- Cristiano Ronaldo: With amazing talent and speed, Ronaldo is one of the ten best Portuguese soccer players. At the age of 23, he was named as the 2008 FIFA World Player of the Year. Playing as a wing or a forward, he is currently the captain of the Portuguese national team.
- Eusebio: Another one of the ten best Portuguese soccer players is Eusebio. He has smooth control over the ball once he is on the field, coupled with powerful runs. During the 1966 World Cup, he was the top scorer with nine goals, which helped Portugal in winning the bronze medal.
- Ricardo Carvalho Bio: Carvalho is one of the best defenders for his team, making him one of the ten best Portuguese soccer players. In 2004, he was named as UEFA Club Best Defender of the Year. He played for several European Championships for Portugal as well as in the World Cups in 2006 and 2010.
- Luis Carlos Almeida da Cunha: Most commonly known as Nani, he was the youngest member of the Portugal team during the 2006 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship. He scored his first goal here in his debut. Since then, he has played for the national team during the Euro 2008 and the 2010 World Cup.
- Anderson Luis de Souza: He is best known as Deco, and is one of the ten best Portuguese soccer players. He started playing for Brazil, and then moved to Portugal where he became a citizen. He is notable for making wonderful passes and creating opportunities for his team to score. With that, he earned his nickname “El Magico” from his fans.
- Ricardo Quaresma: He first appeared in 2000, where he made his debut in the UEFA European Under-seventeen Football Championship. He is one of the ten best Portuguese soccer players who specialize in the “Trivela” shooting technique. Here, he veers off and makes a curve of the ball with the outside of his boot.
- Luis Figo: He plays both as a midfielder and a wing, and is one of the ten best Portuguese soccer players. His brilliant trickery and dribbling skills led him to earning several awards which include the 2000 European Footballer of the Year and the 2001 FIFA World Player of the Year. His last game was during the 2006 World Cup in Germany where he was the team’s captain.
- Nuno Ricardo de Oliveira Ribeiro: Another one of the ten best Portuguese soccer players is Ribeiro who is more commonly known as Maniche. He is well-known for his excellent skills in making powerful shots, his stamina and his ability to participate in teamwork. He played for all of the four major European leagues as well as during the 2006 World Cup.
- Pedro Miguel Carreiro Resendes: Better known as Pauleta, he is one of the ten best Portuguese soccer players who played as a striker. He played in the UEFA Euro 2000 and 2004, the FIFA World Cup in 2002 and 2006. He is also one of the all time top scorers for his national team.
Képler Laveran Lima Ferreira: Commonly known as Pepe, he is one of the ten best Portuguese soccer players and currently plays for Real Madrid as a central defender. Although he was born in Brazil, he went to Portugal and became a citizen there. He first joined the Portuguese squad in August 2007 and since then appeared in several games.
Posted on: Oct. 29, 2010