If you’re in the mood to watch an action film set in a far-off time period, check out this list of the 10 best prehistoric adventure movies. Prepare to enter the realm of dinosaurs, cavemen and apes. This prehistoric film list features both classics from the 1950s and recent special effects blockbusters.
- “Jurassic Park” This 1993 Steven Spielberg movie earns the top honor for best prehistoric adventure movie. The special effects still hold up today, and the dinosaurs that every kid imagines are all featured as the stars of the film. The villains that steal the show are the Tyrannosaurus Rex and Velociraptors, who terrorize the park visitors in a number of suspenseful action sequences.
- “Encino Man” This prehistoric adventure comedy features a very young Brendan Fraser and Pauly Shore. Fraser plays a prehistoric caveman who is dug up and revived to find himself living in the height of the 1980s.
- “The Lost World” This sequel to the blockbuster “Jurassic Park” does not stand on an equal footing with the first film, but nonetheless, “The Lost World” is a fun and exciting prehistoric adventure movie. The film’s highlights are an attack on a trailer by two T. Rexes and the over-the-top finale of dinosaurs invading the city.
- “One Million Years B.C.” This classic prehistoric adventure movie drew more attention due to Raquel Welch and her cavewoman bikini than the actual action sequences. If you’re looking for a 1960s guy’s movie, then this film is for you.
- “10,000 Years B.C.” This recent prehistoric action flick boasts a wide assortment of special effects and shows a more realistic depiction of early man and his battles with woolly mammoths and saber-toothed tigers.
- “Ice Age” This prehistoric comedy flick may be for children, but it is quite humorous. The movie revolves around a bunch of animals and their quest to flee the coming Ice Age. If you have kids around and want to watch a prehistoric themed movie, rent this film.
- “Godzilla” Make sure to rent the original “Godzilla,” not the more recent Matthew Broderick disaster. The movie is a bit hokey, but features one of film’s most iconic prehistoric beasts and shows what were cutting edge film effects for the 1950s.
- “The Land Before Time” This classic animated prehistoric adventure film tells the story of Littlefoot, a dinosaur who must journey to the Great Valley to avoid extinction. The movie is one of the best animated children’s movies of the late 1980s.
- “Year One” If you’re looking for a prehistoric adventure comedy, watch “Year One,” with funnymen Michael Cera and Jack Black. The two play cavemen who head on a prehistoric journey filled with skewed Biblical events.
- “Journey to the Center of the Earth” This recent remake stars Brendan Fraser as an adventurer who encounters prehistoric creatures on his quest through the Earth’s depths. Both the older and newer versions are based loosely on the famous book written by Jules Verne.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
8 Things All Guys Should Stop Doing by Age 30
You're a man now, dog.