If you're thinking about becoming a boxer learning about the 10 best punching bags for boxing is an important step in your training. Getting in the ring to face another fighter requires endurance, conviction, speed and power. The following recommendations will help you prepare, regardless if your next fight is a title bout, or the first time you've stepped into the ring as an amateur.
- Heavy bag. The Heavy bag is a staple of boxing training. Choose punching bags from leather or synthetic models, but be sure to look for evaluations of the padding inside the bag. A boxing bag with a rigid surface can lead to injury, and boxers should choose bags with the right weight. Many boxers choose the heaviest bag they can buy to show how tough they are, but boxers under 160 pounds with lighter punches should choose a 40-50 pound bag.
- Teardrop bag. These punching bags, which have emerged with the growth of MMA, allow the boxer to deliver punches from a greater number of angles, including body shots aimed diagonally at the body from below, hook punches that angle down at the jaw, and upper cuts.
- Anatomically shaped bags. These bags are slightly more complex than teardrop bags. These punching bags, which have an hourglass shape, are great for delivering very targeted shots from any angle. Hang the bag so the middle of the hourglass is at chest level and deliver all your upper cut and angled shots to best advantage.
- Wall-mount bags. These punching bags, which look like a foam block protruding from your wall, have specifically targeted areas for straight, hook and uppercut punches. These punching bags don't swing, so boxers miss out on the bob and weave technique most boxers employ in the ring.
- Uppercut bags. Purchase either a "wrecking ball" style or traditional, which is like a heavy bag turned on it's side. Develop power in your upper cuts, and with the wrecking ball, throw your additional angled punches as well.
- Body opponent free-standing bags. You've most likely seen these in martial arts and MMA training centers. They look like a foam muscle man without any arms on top of a free-standing platform. With these punching bags boxers can easily target the head and jaw, something much harder to do with a traditional heavy bag.
- Water bags. One of the most modern innovations in boxing bag design, these punching bags are made from a thick synthetic bladder that you fill at home. The water absorbs the force of punches, delivering less shock back into the glove and your hand.
- Double-end bags. Give yourself the best challenge to your agility and focus. Double end bags act erratically when punched, causing you to miss if your timing is even slightly off when attempting to make meaningful follow-up hits.
- Slim line bags. Although these are more rare on the market, the goal of these bags is to make you focus. A traditional heavy bag is much thicker than the head, your main target when in a boxing match. A slim bag may help you focus your shots and better prepare you for the ring.
- Speed bags. Of course, no list of the ten best punching bags for boxing could end without the other piece of ubiquitous boxing equipment in the gym: the speed bag. Beside the heavy bag, this is the most highlighted piece of equipment in any boxing movie or training regimen you'll find. This piece of equipment trains your timing, focus and stamina.
So, to wrap things up, what is the best bag? It depends on your facility. If you have the space to hang multiple bags from a wall, as in your garage or basement, get your choice of heavy bags-water filled or foam filled, a double end bag and a speed bag. This combination will allow you to train endurance, speed, focus and agility. Can't hang punching bags from your wall? Get the freestanding style such as a body opponent free-standing bag. If you know your training needs require it, buy one of the more recent designs such as the teardrop or anatomically shaped bags.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
Pro Wrestling Tales That Will Make You Feel Like Fighting
Don't get too riled up.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.