If you’re in a relationship with someone who’s into punk rock, the 10 best punk rock love songs will help you express your feelings. Although punk music began as a rebellious sub-genre against contemporary society, over the years there’s been no shortage of heartfelt punk rock love songs written for that special someone.
- Blink-182 “Josie” Blink-182 has an abundance of mushy punk rock love songs in their catalog and “Josie” is a perfect example. Containing lines like “My girlfriend takes me home when I’m too drunk to drive / And she doesn’t get all jealous when I hang out with the guys,” this song is an ode to all the wonderful things a punk rock girlfriend does.
- MxPx “Do Your Feet Hurt?” Released in 1996 on the album “Life in General,” this song deserves a spot on any list of the ten best punk rock love songs. The lyrics “Did you fall from heaven? / ’Cause you’ve been running through my mind all day” capture the overwhelming infatuation of new love.
- Screeching Weasel “Your Name is Tattooed on My Heart” Screeching Weasel wrote some of the genre's best love songs. The lines “Should you slip my mind, I’ll have this to remind me / Your name is tattooed on my heart” show the intense commitment of punk rock love songs.
- The Ramones “I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend” The Ramones wrote several classic songs that have endured through the years. This band didn’t mince words and their message in this punk rock love song was as straightforward as it gets: “Sweet little girl, I wanna be your boyfriend / Do you love me, babe?"
- The Descendents “Marriage” No list of the ten best punk rock love songs is complete without The Descendents. Formed in 1978, this pioneering punk rock band wrote songs about nearly every subject. Their 1982 album “Milo Goes to College” contained this punk rock love song about the joy of finding “the one.”
- The Dead Milkmen “Punk Rock Girl” The Dead Milkmen gained a reputation for silliness as well as quality songwriting. Perhaps their most well-known love song, 1988’s “Punk Rock Girl” contains lyrics that are romantic and humorous: “We’ll dress like Minnie Pearl / Just you and me, punk rock girl.”
- NOFX “Monosyllabic Girl” Another punk rock band famous for injecting humor into their love song lyrics, NOFX struck the right mood with 1997’s “Monosyllabic Girl” from the album “So Long and Thanks for All the Shoes.” The band’s romantic sense of humor is on display with the lines, “I take her to jewelry store / I say diamonds, she says pearl / Oh everyone knows I'm in love / With a monosyllabic girl.”
- Rancid “She’s Automatic” Formed in 1991 from the ashes of Operation Ivy, Rancid is best known for penning grittier songs, but this band has a soft side. The lyrics, “My head was spinnin' a million miles an hour / The chance I was takin', I get anxious around her” capture the urgent fascination of punk rock love.
- The Ataris “San Dimas High School Football Rules” Even during their humble beginnings in the mid-1990s, The Ataris were wearing their hearts on their sleeves. This is a melodic punk rock love song about falling for someone else’s girl. Their honesty is on display in the lines, “Just dump your boyfriend and go out with me / I swear I’d treat you like a queen.”
- Green Day “At the Library” Rounding out the list of the ten best punk rock love songs is perhaps the most commercially successful band within the genre. “At the Library” first appeared on the band’s 1990 debut album “39/Smooth” and it showed the band’s aptitude for capturing emotion. Anyone can relate to the lines, “I try to find the words I could use / Don’t have the courage to come up to you.”
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.