10 Best Punk Songs Of All Time
The 10 best punk rock songs of all time is a matter of opinion, don’t you think? Everyone has their own list and money and punk rock never really mixed. Let’s face it, punk rock was an iconic push in the 1970s and 1980s and in some circles is still being played. What is called punk rock today isn’t really the same gritty, in your face blast by the pioneers of punk rock. For this reason, this list of the ten best punk rock songs of all time is going to concentrate on the infancy of the genre. These top ten punk rock songs of all time are seated in the old school punk rock era.
- "Holiday in Cambodia" – The Dead Kennedy’s: This is an 1980’s powerhouse punk song that has essentially become the anthem for the genre. Great rifts by East Bay Ray and undeniable lyrics from Jello Biafra made this an instant classic. From the historic "Fresh Fruit for Rotten Vegetables" LP, this is an unforgettable tune.
- "God Save the Queen" – Sex Pistols: A ruckus and mayhem inducing band that takes us back to 1977. What can you say about Jonny Rotten and Sid Vicious? The Sex Pistols are the pioneers of punk rock and are the band that put the genre on the map.
- "Anarchy in the U.K". – Sex Pistols: Take another trip back to 1977 with the bad boys of punk. This tune is a rough riot song that implodes in slam dancing and booze. This song is an iconic blast that stirs emotion and angst.
- "Los Angles" - X : The first hit and introduction to X that made you fall in love with Exene Cervenka with her haunting voice. This 1980’s tune was LA’s gift to the world of punk rock. X is one of the best California punk bands of all time.
- "I Love Living in the City" – Fear: Lee Ving is still rocking, but nothing like he did with this 1978 hardcore punk tune. Who can forget Fear’s appearance in The Decline of Western Civilization or their hitting the stage on Saturday Night Live? What a great memory of a great band.
- "Mannimal" - Germs: The 1980s gave us Darby Crash and his suicidal ways and sexy bassist Lorna. The Germs were a short-lived band as their destined to die lead singer followed through. Manimal, however, will go down as one of the best tunes to come out of the era.
- "Blitzkrieg Bop" - Ramones: This is an edgy punk song with a steady beat that will get you up on on your pogo. Touted as one of the best of not the best punk songs for a generation, the Ramones hit it big here. This is a true testament to the living on the edge mentality of this generation.
- "London’s Burning "– Clash: A classic to say the least, this tune burst onto the scene in 1979. The rowdy band from London brought the angst of a British invasion on the heels of the Sex Pistols. A band for the ages, the tunes from the Clash still make the radio waves even today.
- "*uck Armageddon this is Hel"l – Bad Religion: This Woodland hills, CA band offered up the ultimate question. In 1982, the band released their first full length LP and brought the punk genre this classic tune. It's exceptional and a hunting thanks to the unmistakable voice of Greg Geffen.
- "CaliforniaUber Alles" – The Dead Kennedy’s: Like the Sex Pistols, you could run the entire top ten with songs from the Dead Kennedy's. Great undertones and a beat with the hard wrenching vocals that foretell a dismal future make this one of the best punk songs of all time.