The 10 best bass rap songs will get booties shaking, the liquor flowing, and parties started. Get on your computer, get these songs, compile a playlist, and let the good times roll.
- Eric B and Rakim – “Paid in Full” “Paid in Full” is the face that launched a thousand ships. In the age of sound collage production and chaotic, directionless rap music, Eric B and Rakim laid out a simple, incessant beat and one of the most driving, infectious, danceable bass lines of all time. The track is undoubtedly one of the ten best rap bass songs.
- Dr. Dre – “Nuthin’ But a G Thang” There’s not much to say about this song that hasn’t already been said: the shit is straight up legendary. The laid back G-funk flow revolves around a smooth and melodic bass line that pops like classic funk and grooves like kush-induced rap stars. This isn’t just one of the best bass songs, it’s one of the most well-produced hip-hop tracks ever.
- Jay-Z – “Izzo (H.O.V.A.)” The bass on “Izzo” makes the track an ultimate cross over single: it just that one instrument there is pop, R&B, hip-hop, and rock. It doesn’t hurt that the track samples Jackson 5’s “I Want You Back,” a beloved and well-known single. However, Hova’s appropriation of the bass line is expert, and makes this one of the 10 best rap bass songs.
- Wu-Tang Clan – “Wu-Tang Clan Ain’t Nuthin’ Ta Fuck Wit” While Dre was busy making smooth sounds on the west coast, Wu-Tang was laying the foundation for the tightly coiled hardcore rap that would dominate the east. “Wu-Tang Clan Ain’t Nuthin’ Ta Fuck Wit” is driven by a crazy-aggressive bass line that’s equally suited to soundtrack dancing as it is riots.
- Nas – “Half Time” Most of the beats on Nas’ game-changing “Illmatic” are nothing but a drum kit, driving bass, and Nas’ prodigious lyrics. “Half Time” is no exception. Bass dominates the song, pushing it forward while complimenting the MCs quick, fluid, precise delivery.
- Lil Wayne – “A Milli” Listening to Lil Wayne’s seminal “A Milli” is like navigating a minefield of explosive bass notes. The track’s club-oriented production is scattered brained, and buries its bass in body rocking clusters that blow after the machine gun fire of the snare drum. Weezy’s attack is one of the 10 best rap bass songs.
- Game – “Compton” Game makes music to bump on your way to a drive-by shooting, not the club. “Compton” is no exception. The song’s bass-heavy production is designed to rattle trunks, annoy bystanders, and scare the turd out of the general public. Get down with it.
- Talib Kweli – “Get By” This Kanye West-produced jam has piano, drums, and Kweli’s rapid fire lyrical barrage, but it’s the bass that makes it bounces. The track is one of the 10 best rap bass tracks, with a headlong charge of the bass is reminiscent of “Paid in Full.” It never lets up and carries both rhythm and melody in its forward march.
- Ludacris – “Number One Spot” Ludacris’ take on Quincy Jones’ “Austin Powers” theme throws sub-woofer destroying bass blurts beneath a loopy and incessant horn section and pipe whistles. As with all of Luda’s best moments, there's infectious energy and ridiculous lyrics, but it’s the low end that makes this one of the 10 best bass rap songs.
- 50 Cent – “In Da Club” The appeal of this song is extremely simply: it’s engineered for the club, and nothing else. The hand-clap shuffle of the beat will get asses out of seats and onto the dance floor, but it’s the staccato bass line that will have the asses jiggling, shaking, popping, and wildin’ out.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
We all love fine food—and the people who make it! Eats introduces you to those folks, taking you into the kitchens of all kinds of culinary luminaries. From BBQ to vegan, eco-frien …