The entries on our list of the 10 best rap videos ever convey an era and place in music while remaining entertainingly timeless. From South Central Los Angeles gangsta classics to the hard-hitting heavyweights of the East Coast, these rap videos covers a broad range of artists. Pass the Courvoisier and sit back as you take a look at the ten best rap videos ever.
- "Nuthin' But a G Thang" by Dr. Dre (featuring Snoop Doggy Dogg) – This iconic clip from Dre's "Chronic" album is the ultimate gangsta rap party video and tops the list of the best rap videos ever. No clip before or since has made cruising South Central, barbecues, and basement parties hit so hard.
- "It Was a Good Day" by Ice Cube – Another Los Angeles gangsta rap clip takes the second place on the list of best rap videos ever. Cube's "day-in-the-life" video is a celebration until its ironic ending, with the police after him all along. It is a great ending to a great video.
- "Sky's the Limit" by Notorious BIG (featuring 112) – Since Biggie Smalls had been killed by the time this video was made, director Spike Jonze filled all of the roles with children. The miniature versions of Biggie and Puffy are perfect, making this an essential entry on the list of the ten best rap videos ever.
- "Triumph" by the Wu-Tang Clan – The ultimate posse cut from the ultimate posse, "Triumph" embodies all the Wu-Tang Clan have to offer: great rapping, a hit song with no chorus, cheesy special effects, and "killa beez on the swarm." The crew from Shaolin comes in at number four on the list of the best rap videos ever.
- "Passing Me By" by the Pharcyde – The first love song on the list has an evocative black and white video showing a number of pretty girls just out of reach. It is not a typical bling-bling rap video, but it is one of the best.
- "Fight the Power" by Public Enemy - Spike Lee needed an anthem for his film "Do the Right Thing." In return, he directed the spectacular clip for this song from the soundtrack.
- "Mama Said Knock You Out" by LL Cool J – This black and white video, symbolizing rap as a tough bout in the ring, is a classic. LL Cool J's "Don't call it a" comeback video is one of the best rap videos of all time.
- "Ready or Not" by the Fugees – The Fugees, one of rap's great hopes, portray themselves as subversives broadcasting from a submarine on this iconic clip. Sadly, the group has not been back to match it since.
- "All Falls Down" by Kanye West - The newest entry on the list of best rap videos ever is a humorous shot at consumerism featuring the very lovely Stacey Dash as a gold-digging girl basically dragging Kanye around on a leash. It's too bad Kanye couldn't maintain the self-deprecating nature he showed on this wonderful clip
- "California Love" by 2Pac (featuring Dr. Dre) - The final entry on the list of the ten best rap videos ever is a collaboration between the two west coast heavyweights, Dre and Pac, presiding over the world's best post-apocalyptic party. The over-the-top, "Mad Max"-esque settings and the bounce of the song make it a perfect capper for this list.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How to Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, master these skills. (Yes, several are car-related.)