The 10 best R rated movies earned their place in this list by providing viewers with more adult oriented themes and content. What makes them special is that they serve up those elements in a way that improves the overall package. There are a fairly large number of great R rated movies, but only a few of them take full advantage of the rating.
- “Goodfellas” is a gangster movie directed by Martin Scorsese, and it’s easily one of the best R rated movies of all time. There are loads of violence and a lot of adult language, but it all serves a purpose in creating the film’s atmosphere.
- “Scarface” is directed by Brian De Palma, and it is a remake of a 1930’s gangster classic. This updated version of the story deals with a Cuban immigrant who gets involved in the cocaine trade.
- “Blue Velvet”, which is directed by David Lynch, is a surrealistic noir film about a teenager trying to solve a murder. It’s both erotic and violent, with a twisted story that has to be seen to be believed.
- “Pulp Fiction” is the film that made writer/director Quentin Tarantino into a legend. He has consistently shown that he knows what R rated movies are all about, and this film is no exception. It’s bristling with violence and adult language, but it uses these elements to provide the audience with a unique cinematic experience.
- “Kill Bill” is another Tarantino film that works on a number of levels. It manages to be exciting and funny, and truly epic all at the same time. There is incredible violence in the movie, but it’s handled in a way that doesn’t disturb as much as it entertains.
- “The Shining”, which is directed by the late, great Stanley Kubrick, is one of the best R rated horror movies ever created. The R rating allowed the director to freely explore thematic elements without concern, and he did so brilliantly.
- “Straw Dogs” is a fantastic thriller directed by Sam Peckinpah. The movie is really about the nature of human violence and the limits of modern civilization as an influence on our inner aggression. It’s one of those R rated movies that really takes full advantage of its rating.
- “The Unforgiven” is a film directed by Clint Eastwood. He also stars as a washed up gunfighter trying to make a little money for himself. It’s one of the best R rated movies in the western genre, and it uses the rating to show a gritty picture of history.
- “Belle De Jour” is a surrealistic film directed by the great Luis Buñuel. It’s about a wife who secretly wants to be a prostitute. Parts of the film are reality, while other segments are fantasy, and the audience is often unsure which they are seeing.
- “Exotica” is a very well made movie created by Atom Egoyan. The plot is very complex, and it unfolds in a mysterious way. Large segments of the film take place in a strip club, but the movie is much more than just a skin-flick. While watching the movie, the audience is expected to unravel a mystery because the story doesn’t immediately fall into place.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
As Boogie Nights Turns 20, Here’s What You Didn’t Kno...
Fun facts about Paul Thomas Anderson, Dirk Diggler, Rollergirl and more.
19 Men’s Grooming Gaffes That Totally Turn Women Off
And what to do about them.