10 Best Rated Used Cars
The ten best rated used cars lists are put together by groups of folks who study this kind of thing. The groups enjoy cars and are paid to study how long it takes for a car to fall apart under normal driving conditions. Some cars fall apart fairly quickly and disappoint all groups, but most importantly the car's owner, while other cars chug along with relatively little maintenance. These are the best-rated used cars that you want to seek out when looking for a used ride. Fortunately, these professional car groups, including Consumer Reports and Edmunds, share their findings so car buyers can make informed choices.
- Toyota Prius. Edmunds recommends only models of this car from 2004 through 2008 due to the redesigns made with the 2004 model. Changes usually are made in each model year, but a redesign of a major engine system or change in body design usually make used car raters more cautious about recommendations. The 2004 model provided more room for both the driver and passenger and that allowed Edmunds to provide a thumbs up for the new design.
- Infiniti G35. Unless you make a major piece of change, you have to ask; "If you have the bucks for an Infiniti why aren't you buying a less expensive new car?" If you just need a status ride, and can't afford to buy a new Infiniti, then the G35 models made from 2003 to 2008 should fit the bill. Edmunds also gave the nod to this best-rated used car for models made during these years.
- Mazda Miata. The Miata is classified as the sports car of the masses and the models made beginning in 2003 through 2008 make the list of the best-rated used car choices for people looking for a convertible sports car.
- BMW 3 Series. The year 2003 model for this BMW is the beginning place to look for used cars in the 3 Series. Any model made through 2008 has a recommendation from Consumer Reports. Since the color choices offered during this period may vary, this may also impact your choice of used cars.
- Hyundai Azera. Hyundai's Azera model is a best-rated used car, but only for models made from 2006 through 2008. Consumer Reports recommends buying the newest car that you can afford. That way you can drive longer on your investment. The quiet ride and safety standards put this on Edmunds list of best-rated used cars.
- Toyota Camry. Toyota Camry usually retains better value for car owners, but the Camry models made over the period 2003 to 2008 are thought to hold value better and cost less for the used car owner by the two automotive groups. Four-door sedans rank the same as the two-door models for this auto maker. The fuel economy was a hit with Edmunds for these Camry models.
- Hyundai Elantra. Another model from the Hyundai company makes the best-rated used car list. The models made beginning in 2003 through the 2008 are recommended higher than other models. The safety and smooth ride of these models put them on the Edmunds list.
- BMW Z4. Consumer Reports highlights this BMW model made in 2004 and 2005 for their best-rated used car recommendations. The ratings for this car include style points for exterior and the solid reputation of the mechanical parts.
- Mercedes-Benz E Class. The MB model years from 2000, 2003 and 2004 get the best-rated used car nod from Consumer Reports. More points on the used car lists for style and reliability of the engine and moving parts.
- Volkswagen Rabbit. Bunnies made beginning in 2007 and manufactured through 2009 get the approval of Consumer Reports. VW manufactured various color options over these years, so shop around to buy your favorite color.