The following is a list of the 10 best R&B singers ever. Some fit more into the mold of a soul singer, while others are more pop. The common denominator, though, is rhythm and blues.
- Usher. Usher is well-known for his voice and his dance moves. He has had success in solo albums, but has found himself featured on hip hop and pop songs with other artists. He has released six albums, including "Raymond v. Raymond" in March 2010.
- Boyz II Men. As the only R&B group on this list, Boyz II Men was incredibly successful during the 1990's. Their album "II" won the Grammy for best R&B album and their song "I'll Make Love to You" remains one of the go-to romance songs for men all over the world. None of the artists have made much out of solo careers, but together they made a great group.
- Bobby Brown. Perhaps best known for his turbulent relationship with Whitney Houston, Bobby Brown certainly made a name for himself through music, too. He was part of one of the first boy bands, New Edition, and moved onto a successful solo career. His album "Don't Be Cruel" reached the top of the charts in both the US and UK.
- Teddy Pendergrass. After starting out as a drummer and playing in Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, Teddy Pendergrass launched his own solo career. Instead of being a drummer, he started singing and quickly became one of the all-time R&B greats. He received many Grammy nominations, even after a tragic car accident that left him paralyzed from the waist down in 1982.
- Mary J. Blige. Mary J. has multi-platinum records and nine Grammies. She received the World Music Legends Award in the early 1990's. Her career spans twenty years and it is just getting started. She is a modern day diva in the world of R&B.
- R. Kelly. Anyone who gets surprised by R. Kelly's lyrics clearly hasn't listened to him much. Thinking about his lyrics brings the realization that in almost all of his songs, not a sentence goes by without some sexual innuendo. Unless it is one of his heartfelt songs like "I Wish." He is a prolific recording artist who has been featured on soundtracks and created a hip-hopera called "Trapped in the Closet." He has won numerous awards and continues to produce albums with the same sort of content.
- Whitney Houston. Whitney Houston is known for having one of the greatest voices ever heard. That voice has translated to some incredibly successful albums. Her first self-titled album became the best-selling debut album by any female recording artist at the time. She continues to produce albums and after rehabilitating from drug use, her voice is back to the way it was.
- Al Green. He is a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and was named number 65 on "Rolling Stone's" Top 100 Artists of All Time list. His song "Love and Happiness" remains one of the all time greats.
- Aretha Franklin. R-E-S-P-E-C-T is all that can be given to Aretha Franklin. The Queen of Soul has amassed eighteen Grammy awards has reached the top of the charts.
- Stevie Wonder. Not much more can be said about Stevie Wonder. As the greatest R&B singer of all time, he has won 22 Grammy awards and has ten singles and four albums that have topped the charts.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…