The 1990s was a decade of great music, especially in the genre of rhythm and blues, leading to this list of 10 best R&B songs of the '90s. There are thousands of songs to choose from when trying to compile a top ten list, but only ten can make the cut.
- Destiny's Child "Say My Name" (1999) In the 1990s Destiny's Child took the R&B world by storm and ended up becoming one of the most successful girl groups ever. "Say My Name" is still known as one of their biggest hits.
- Boyz II Men "Motownphilly" (1991) This group from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, introduced themselves to the R&B world with this single and continued to make hits that are still loved today.
- Salt-N-Pepa with En Vogue "Whatta Man" (1995) Two of the most well known female groups of the decade collaborated and made this hit, a dedication to good men everywhere.
- Mariah Carey "Fantasy" (1995) Mariah Carey, known as one of the best selling female artists of the 90s, has made a number of hits about love, but this is a fan favorite.
- Aaliyah "One in a Million" (1996) Affectionately known as the "Princess of R&B", Aaliyah hit the music world in 1994. This title track of her second album is another stellar performance.
- TLC "Waterfalls" (1994) Before there was a Destiny's Child, TLC was undisputedly the number one girl group of the time. They are still considered to be the biggest selling female R&B group of all time.
- The Fugees "Killing Me Softly" (1996) Although The Fugees are known as a Hip Hop group, this single, mainly consisting of vocals from group member, singer/rapper Lauryn Hill, qualifies more as a R&B hit. The remake of the 1973 Roberta Flack hit "Killing Me Softly with His Song" proved to be another big seller more than twenty years later.
- Mary J. Blige "Real Love" (1992) Known as the undisputed "Queen of Hip Hop Soul", Mary J. Blige has been making hits since 1992. This single from her hit-filled debut album, "What's the 411", was the second released. Mary J. Blige is still going strong today.
- Whitney Houston "I Will Always Love You" (1992) Although Whitney Houston is considered a breakout star of the 80s, this hit from the movie "The Bodyguard" soundtrack helped keep her fresh and relevant into the 90s. What girl hasn't belted this tune out in front of the mirror?
- Michael Jackson "Remember the Time" (1992) What would any top ten list be without Michael Jackson? Although he is known as the King of Pop, it would be hard not to also classify Michael Jackson's music as R&B. This song, as well as the accompanying music video, are still highly thought of today.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.