The 10 best restaurants in the Midwest include high-end and great-tasting budget eateries. The definition of "best" is subjective, but some Midwestern restaurants have nearly universal agreement on the great food served and the restaurants' ambiance. Some geographic regions are a natural for specific kinds of foods. For instance, fish are abundant in the Great Lakes region and so are the best fish restaurants. The following list is arguably the best restaurants located in the Midwest United States.
- June Restaurant in Peoria Heights, Illinois. This restaurant on North Prospect located just outside Chicago has been tapped as the best restaurant in the Midwest by many critics. The menu fare includes farm-fresh food that includes unique preparation of New York strip steak and hiramasa sashimi. 4450 N. Prospect Rd #S1, Peoria Heights, IL 61616
- FARMbloomington, Indiana. Farmblooming advertises "real food" served at the restaurant, grille and cafe. The adjoining market also features fresh, local food. Chef Daniel Orr whips up innovative menus each day incorporating Hoosier tapas, cocktails and pizzas. This best Midwestern restaurant has Orr, a French-trained chef, supervising the kitchen. 108 E. Kirkwood Ave., Bloomington, IN 47404
- St. Elmo Steak House in Indianapolis, Indiana. This Indy restaurant has roots in the early railroad industry that brought fresh meat right into the downtown on area rails. St. Elmo's continues to grill up quality cuts of fresh beef, in addition to pork and lamb chops, seafood, as well as a host of potato dishes including redskin mashed. 127 S. Illinois St., Indianapolis, IN 46225
- Turner's Restaurant at the Canterbury Hotel in Indianapolis, Indiana. This Midwestern restaurant offers all meal served in the cherry-paneled dining room of the Canterbury Hotel in downtown Indy. The menu is new each evening and features fresh vegetables, fruits and meats. 123 S. Illinois St., Indianapolis, IN 46225
- Joseph Decuis Restaurant in Roanoke, Indiana. Named for the owner's southern grandfather, the specialty of the house is gumbo, but other farm fresh foods are offered throughout the year. A full wine cellar and cigar vault invite guests to dine, drink and smoke in the secluded jazz bar. 191 N. Main St., Roanoke, IN 46783
- Blue Point Grille in Cleveland, Ohio. If seafood is your passion, the Blue Point Grille is your place. This best Midwestern restaurant is tucked into Cleveland's warehouse district also features swordfish, ahi tuna, mussels and lobster. 700 W. St. Clair Ave., Cleveland, OH 44113
- Lola in Cleveland, Ohio. Chef and owner Michael Symon presides over the menu and the preparation at this Cleveland eatery that offers state-of-the-culinary art menu offerings including fresh pork, veal sweetbreads, lobster and oysters. 2058 E. 4th St., Cleveland, OH 44115
- Charlie Trotter's in Chicago, Illinois. This ten best restaurant in the Midwest entry includes an eat-in establishment and a take-out counter for folks on the go. The restaurant has won awards from the James Beard Foundation, Mobile Stars, Wine Spectator recognition and awards from Restaurant Magazine and Wine Enthusiast. 816 W. Armitage Ave., Chicago, IL 60614
- Alinea Restaurant in Chicago, Illinois. Alinea offers an innovative menu that includes staged eating with unusual eating utensils and an eating process like no other. Diners might be asked to construct interactive food towers. If you're into food innovation, this best Midwestern restaurant is right up your refrigerator. 1723 N. Halsted St., Chicago IL 60614
- Zindrick's Czech Restaurant in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Zindrick's takes the crown as best Midwestern restaurant serving goulash and a host of other Czech speciality dishes. Add a Czech Pilsner Urquell beer to top off the meal. 86 16th Ave. SW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52404
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.