When compiling a list of ten best restaurants near Trafalgar Square, London, it is amazing to find out how many restaurants there are and of what great variety. Added to the traditional English restaurants and pubs, there are eateries featuring many other countries' cuisine including French, Mexican, Indian, Japanese, Italian, Texan, and more.
- Albannach has a mezzanine restaurant that seats up to 50 people in a comfortable stylish setting. They buy from the top suppliers in the United Kingdom and therefore, have the best beef and seasonal fish on their menu. They also have a fondness for serving Scottish dishes such as haggis. (66 Trafalgar Square, London WC2N 5DS)
- The National Dining Rooms also offer British food but at a much lower cost. Their executive chef insists on the finest locally grown produce and the best in all the British seasonal fare that is available. The beef, duck, lamb and calves liver dishes are handpicked and become some of the most succulent dishes that can be cooked. (Sainsbury Wing, The National Gallery, Trafalgar Square, London WC2N 5DN)
- J. Sheekey's Restaurant and Oyster Bar is the place for the finest oysters, shellfish and fish dishes of all types. It is located close to many theaters in the West End, Leicester Square, Soho, and Covent Garden. Because of the theater connection, there are black and white movie star stills on the paneled walls. Imagine such dishes as Salmon Fishcake, Herb-Crusted Cod, Sweet Carrot Puree, and a dessert of Scandinavian Iced Berries with White Chocolate Sauce. (28-34 St. Martin's Court, London WC2N 4 AL)
- Walkers and Whitehall is a combination restaurant and pub that has a plush interior. Bangers and mash with a creamy gravy is featured along with "nibbles" such as brie and cranberry croutons. (15 Whitehall, London SW1A 2DD)
- Gordon's is a combination of affordable French and British dishes in a restaurant in the style of a 14th-century candle-lit wine cellar that has the distinction of being the oldest wine bar in London. Going along with their wines from around the globe, you can enjoy sandwiches, specials, or a large hunk of French bread and butter served with continental cheeses. (47 Villers St., London WC2N 6NE)
- Wahaca is a Mexican restaurant that is an unusual street-food purveyor. By not taking reservations, and yet having good food, most evenings find crowds lining up the stairs awaiting their turn to get in. (66 Chandos Place, London WC2N 4HG)
- The Mint Leaf Restaurant is a unique Indian hideaway beneath London's pavements in one of the busiest parts of London. There is stone, leather, dark wood, and a bar that has over 500 spirits and more than 1,000 cocktails. The delicately spiced dishes are grilled so they are healthy as well as exotic. (Suffolk Place, London SW1Y 4HX)
- Watatsumi is a modern Japanese mid-priced restaurant. It is in an ante-room to the lobby of the Club Quarters Hotel with high ceilings, a few Japanese screens, and a sushi bar. Specialties include deep-fried tofu cubes dunked in a special hot broth, a dark red miso broth with mushrooms, and slivers of duck breast served with a mandarin-flavored dressing. (7 Northumberland Ave., London WC2N 5BY)
- The Spaghetti House is, of course, Italian. Its pasta dishes are superb as are their meat, fish and chicken dishes. The original owners had to convince post-war 1950s London to give Italian cooking a try, and the Spaghetti House has been a success ever since. (30 St. Martin's Lane, WC2N 4ER)
- The Texas Embassy Cantina is the most unusual with its truly Texan dishes and Lone Star flag flying outside! Enjoy chips and salsa, tortilla soup, fajitas, beef nachos, burritos, steaks and a Mexican beer or a peach margarita. The owner is actually from Texas and also sells T-shirts, sheriff badges, and other Texan merchandise. (1 Cockspur St., London SW1Y 5DL)
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
Because for women, denim is truth serum.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”