The 10 best restaurants near the Verizon Center include a selection of upscale and moderately-priced establishments. This sports arena anchored a turnaround in the neighborhood in which it sits (called Penn Quarter) when it was built in the 1990s. The area now flocks with workday diners and late night adventure seekers, all of whom can find something to suit their tastes.
- McCormick and Schmick’s. This seafood eatery is one of the best restaurants near Verizon Center, just two blocks away. Seafood is brought in fresh from around the world daily, offering a new menu twice a day. This is a popular happy hour spot, and every Wednesday evening features a Caribbean themed party. 901 F Street, NW, Washington, DC 20004.
- Capitol Grille. Just down 6th Street, the Capitol Grille is one of the best restaurants near Verizon Center and is a place to spot some of Washington’s elite. The place has a stuffy feel to it, with dark-wood décor and animal heads on the wall, but the steaks are phenomenal and wine list extensive. Caution: the place is pricey and not really for tourists. 601 Pennsylvania Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20004.
- Zaytinya. Just a few blocks away from Verizon Center, Zaytinya offers a unique dining experience, featuring Lebanese and Greek cuisine, most served tapas style—or mezze, as it’s called here. Rich meats and sauces dominate the menu, with seafood prepared in unique ways. The place is hopping, loud, and moderately priced, especially for a restaurant owned by celeb-chef Jose Andres. 701 9th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20004.
- The Caucus Room. This is another establishment filled with the power elite, and one of the best restaurants near Verizon Center. Great steaks, serious drinks, and a place where members of both parties come together and leave acrimony at the door. 401 9th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20004.
- Matchbox. One of the best restaurants near Verizon, this pizza place is just up the street. Though calling itself the snooty-sounding “vintage pizza bistro” the woodfired pies here are a tasty treat. Especially popular are the sweet sopresatta & wild mushroom and serrano spanish ham & pecorino romano. 713 H Street, NW, Washington, DC 20001.
- Zengo. Just a block away sits Zengo, one of the best restaurants near Verizon Center. The restaurant features dishes with an Asian/Latin infusion and popular menu items include the charred tuna wonton tacos and chipotle miso black cod. Drinks here you’ll be hard pressed to find elsewhere are the Kimono Kiss and Sake Sangria. 781 7th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20001.
- Poste. Poste is in the elegant Hotel Monaco, just a block away and one of the best restaurants near Verizon Center. The crowd can have a bit of a meat-market feel to it, but the truffle fries and happy hour menu help you forget about that. The French cuisine here can be pricey, but the atmosphere and fun vibe make it a good experience. 555 8th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20002.
- Rosa Mexicano. This authentic Mexican place is reasonably priced and has fresh, fantastic food. You have to try the guacamole here, which is made from scratch, right at your table. Meat lovers can find a variety of pork and seafood dishes, while veggies will like the spinach-mushroom-corn-chayote enchiladas. 575 7th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20004.
- Clyde’s. Clyde’s is located in the newly renovated Galler Place shopping center, just next to Verizon Center. A local chain, this place has the feel of a neighborhood place, with a variety of dining rooms themed in different styles. The lunchtime and happy crowds are huge, so be prepared to wait a bit. 707 7th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20004.
- Momiji. Momiji is a great little sushi place at the end of Chinatown, near Verizon Center. In addition to the typical array of rolls and eye-pleasing nigiri, a variety of tempuras and salads are offered. For lunch, $10 gets diners some miso soup and two rolls of their choice—$12 gets a third roll. 505 H Street, NW, Washington, DC 20001.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.