For the ten best retail jobs around, consider the ten largest retailers. Employment opportunities are good, due to the typical turnaround in retail positions. And don’t overlook savings and benefits—a winning combination for retail workers.
From health care to profit sharing to savings plans, these companies provide potential employees with some attractive benefits. As a bonus, workers for these ten retailers receive generous merchandise discounts, too.
- Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart is the world’s largest discount retailer and largest employer. Wal-Mart associates (and their children) are eligible for low-cost health insurance and prescription drugs, and the company offers excellent 401(k) and profit sharing plans. In addition, workers receive ten-percent discounts on general merchandise, produce, and eyewear.
- Target. Target is America’s second largest discount retailer. The company targets a more upscale shopper than Wal-Mart. Employees appreciate the following benefits: health and dental plans, pension plans, 401(k) plans, disability insurance, life insurance, and a ten percent merchandise discount. Additionally, Target provides financial assistance with adoption, education, and home loans.
- Home Depot. Home Depot is the world’s largest home improvement retailer and the second largest retailer in the United States. Home Depot stores stock building materials and lawn and garden supplies, and they provide various home improvement services. Their full-time and part-time employees enjoy the benefits of medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance plans. Other incentives include 401(k) and employee stock purchase plans, a credit union, relocation assistance, and matching gift programs.
- Lowe’s. The nation’s second largest home improvement retailer is Lowe’s. Employees are eligible for Lowe’s 401(k) and stock purchase plans. They can choose from either HMO or co-pay medical and prescription drug options. Financial support is available in the form of tuition reimbursement, discounted online university programs, tax preparation, and various voluntary benefits.
- JCPenney. JCPenney is one of America’s largest department stores. It is also the largest catalog merchant, and one of the largest Internet retailers for apparel and home furnishings. New hires receive merchandise discounts immediately, up to twenty percent on some items. Full-time employees can receive health insurance and other coverage after a four-month "benefits eligibility" period. JCPenney also offers pension and savings plans.
- Best Buy. Best Buy is the nation’s leading specialty retailer of electronics, computers, and appliances. The company also operates "Geek Squad," on-site and in-store support for computer services to Best Buy customers. Best Buy offers benefits to employees, spouses, domestic partners, and dependents. Full-time benefits are grouped into three programs: health, wealth, and other rewards.
- Kohl’s. This department store chain emphasizes national brands at discount prices. Health benefits for salaried employees include medical, dental, and vision plans, as well as life insurance, disability insurance, savings plans, and immediate merchandise discounts. Corporate office employees enjoy additional benefits: dry-cleaning service, Kohl's Cuisine, a child development center, and health club discounts.
- Barnes & Noble. The world’s largest bookseller features stores with comfortable settings, filled with large selections of books, music, movies, and magazines. Their cafes sell coffee in partnership with Starbucks, making Barnes & Noble the second-largest coffeehouse in the country. The company offers medical coverage to both full-time and part-time employees. It also offers a generous 401(k) plan, tuition assistance, and various voluntary benefits. Employees receive a thirty-percent discount on books.
- Borders. Borders operates hundreds of bookstores and Waldenbooks specialty stores. According to Borders, their employees "clearly expect protection when it comes to leading healthy and productive lives. For that reason, our benefits and policies exceed marketplace standards." They include medical, dental, and vision plans and well as life insurance, savings plans, and scholarship assistance. Borders provides progressive policies and benefits for dependents and domestic partners, including adoptions and emergency assistance.
- Toys "R" Us. Toys "R" Us is the nation’s leading chain of retail toy stores and Baby "R" Us stores. The company operates an online resource and e-commerce website, as well. Employees receive a variety of benefits, including competitive wages, flexible work hours, medical and dental plans for full-time and part-time workers, a matching 401(k) plan, and associate discounts.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
10 Reasons Your Wife Is Unhappy in Your Marriage
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.