These picks for 10 best rock ballad lyrics are classic word pictures set to music. They speak of the universal emotions of love, grief and relationships gone bad.
10 best rock ballad lyrics:
- “Bridge Over Troubled Water.” The ballad lyrics for this 70’s classic were written by Paul Simon of the defunct duo Simon & Garfunkel, and held Billboard’s top spot for six weeks. “Bridge Over Troubled Water” also won the Grammy Awards for Record and Song of the Year in 1971.
- “Let It Be.” This single was included on the last of the twelve studio albums recorded by the Beatles. The ballad lyrics were written by Paul McCartney. “Let it Be” was a cut from the album “Get Back” which was released on May 8, 1970.
- “Your Song.” Elton John performed and wrote the music for this timeless classic with ballad lyrics being written by Bernie Taupin.
- “Tears in Heaven.” The lyrics of this ballad were co-written by Eric Clapton and Will Jennings. The song was written in memory of Clapton’s four year-old son, Conor who tragically fell to his death from a 53-story balcony.
- “Open Arms.” The classic ballad lyrics of this song about separated lovers reunited was co-written by Steve Perry and Jonathan Cain, and was recorded and performed by the rock group Journey.
- “American Pie.” The lyrics of this ballad were written and performed by Don McLean, and are an anthology of the 50’s and 60’s decades.
- “I Want to Know What Love Is.” This rhythmic ballad was one of Foreigner’s biggest hits, and was written by band member Mick Jones. Initially, the song was written from a personal relationship viewpoint, but evolved to a grander spiritual scale.
- “Desperado.” Eagles band members, Don Henley and Glen Frey, penned the lyrics to this western outlaw influenced ballad. The “Desperado” single is a track off the album of the same title.
- “I Can’t Tell You Why.” This was the first lead performance by Eagles group member, Timothy B. Schmit who also co-wrote the lyrics along with fellow members Don Henley and Glen Frey. The single is a cut off the album “The Long Run,” which was released in 1979.
- “Unchained Melody.” This soulful ballad was recorded by the male duo, The Righteous Brothers whose rendition of the lyrics penned by Hy Zaret accompanied by music written by Alex North is a 60’s classic.
These classic rock ballad lyrics picks are sure to connect with you emotionally on some level, and cause you to “remember when.”
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How to Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, master these skills. (Yes, several are car-related.)