The 10 best rock ballads of 2008 were heard all over the airwaves that year. These rock ballads are from well-known bands that have been able to crank out both heavy hits and softer songs. These bands may be known for their harder songs, but in 2008 they all made a mark on airwaves and Billboard Charts with their rock ballads.
- "Viva La Vida" by Coldplay Released on Coldplay's 2008 album with the same name, this rock ballad is breaking down what they have built up before and creating something different. This song is one of the best rock ballads of 2008 because Coldplay was the first British group to hit number one on the Hot 100 for over ten years with "Viva La Vida."
- "Use Somebody" by Kings of Leon Caleb Followill wrote this rock ballad about being on the road and far from home. Released on the "Only by the Night" album, "Use Somebody" reached number four on U.S. Billboard Chart. This 2008 rock ballad won three Grammys: Record of the Year, Best Rock Song and Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group With Vocals.
- It's Not My Time" by 3 Doors Down This rock ballad is about being resilient and going against the world when the world's being tough. Originally created for a movie that ended up passing, the rock band decided to put the ballad on their album, "3 Doors Down." This is one of the best rock ballads because on Billboards' 2008 end of the year Hot Modern Rock Songs Chart, it landed at seventeen.
- "Shadow of the Day" by Linkin Park Linkin Park took a mellow and softer approach for this 2008 ballad "Shadow of the Day." The song is about a friend who is suffering from depression or physical illness. Chester Bennington has the only vocal part on this song and he sings about how "the shadow of the day will embrace the world in gray and the sun will set for you."
- "Beautiful" by 10 Years This is one of the best rock ballads of 2008 because it landed on the end of the year Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Songs Chart at number eleven. This rock ballad is about changing yourself to fit in, which should not have to be done.
- "Believe" by Staind The lyrics are a plea for acceptance and understanding, something everyone can relate to. It's a good ballad for couples who have gotten into a fight and want to make things right. Staind's rock ballad landed at number fifteen on the Hot Mainstream Rock Songs 2008 end of year charts.
- "I Will Possess Your Heart" by Death Cab For Cutie This 2008 rock ballad runs 8:35 minutes on the album version; the radio version is four minutes long and the ballad has a psychedelic vibe. Bassist Nick Harmer told "Billboard" magazine: "We hit our stride on that song. We looked at the habitual things we've done in the past and tried to move beyond them."
- "Addicted" by Saving Abel This 2008 ballad is about being addicted to sexual escapades. It was written by vocalist Jared Weeks when he was working at a hospital and would write down lyrics on patients' clipboards and doctor script pads. It was the number three song on Billboards end of 2008 Hot Mainstream Rock Songs Chart.
- "Gotta Be Somebody" by Nickelback This rock ballad is about searching for perfect love. The moral of the 2008 ballad is that there's that perfect person out there for you and never give up searching. It debuted at number ten on the Hot 100, which was Nickelback's best opening up to date.
- "Believe" by The Bravery This 2008 rock ballad is about a man struggling to break free from his alcohol addiction. The lyrics are touching and can hit deep with anyone that struggles with addiction. Released as a single in 2008, the song actually comes from their 2007 album "The Sun and the Moon."
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.