There have been and still are innumerable rock bands with female vocalists throughout the world, but these are the 10 best rock bands with female singers. Rock is one of the most popular genres of music, and although it may seem there are plenty more male vocalists than female, this list will make you realize how many top female singers in the rock genres there are. Here are the best rock bands with female singers:
- Tegan and Sara. Tegan and Sara Quin are identical twin sisters that play in the indie rock band Tegan and Sara. Both sisters play guitars and keyboards, as well as sing and write songs such as "Walking With a Ghost."
- No Doubt. No Doubt is a rock band with ska-pop sounds, like on the track "Don't Speak," fronted by Gwen Stefani. Formed in 1986, No Doubt has gone through over a dozen members since their beginning.
- The Cranberries. The Irish rock band The Cranberries, originally named The Cranberry Saw Us, features female singer Dolores O'Riordan. Known for such hits as "Linger" and "Zombie," The Cranberries received mainstream success in the early to mid 1990s.
- Big Brother and the Holding Company with Janis Joplin. When Janis Joplin accompanied Big Brother and the Holding Company from 1966 to 1968, the combination released some of their best love hits. With Janis Joplin on vocals on songs such as "Piece of My Heart," Big Brother and the Holding Company is undeniably one of the best rock bands with a female singer.
- Babes in Toyland. Babes in Toyland was a punk rock outfit that was formed in 1987, their first single being "Dust Cake Boy." Featuring Kat Bjelland on lead vocals, as well as guitar, the punk rock band even featured Courtney Love on bass for a short while. Love and Bjelland previously formed a band prior to Love's stint in Babes in Toyland.
- Sonic Youth. Kim Gordon is the female vocalist for Sonic Youth, while Thurston Moore and Lee Ranaldo also do vocals. The band, which was formed in New York City in 1981 and released their first album "Sonic Youth" in 1982, features a noise rock sound, as one of the first wave of groups of that genre in America.
- Pixies. The Pixies are an alternative rock band, whose first recording was 1987's "Come On Pilgrim" that featured Kim Deal on vocals, along with Black Francis, also on vocals, Joey Santiago, and David Lovering. Another band that Deal also formed just two years after joining the Pixies was The Breeders, which was another one of the best rock bands with a female singer.
- Mazzy Star. Mazzy Star was originally formed by Kendra Smith and David Roback, but the band created their biggest hit when Hope Sandoval became the vocalist after Smith left. The song that got them to their highest point on the charts, making the Top 5 of Billboard's Modern Rock chart, was "Fade Into You."
- Bikini Kill. As a pioneer of the riot grrrl movement, Bikini Kill was a punk rock band formed in 1990. Vocalist Kathleen Hanna often sung radically feminist lyrics, as seen in songs like "Rebel Girl," that were seemingly influenced by the hardcore punk music genre.
- L7. L7 was a rock band that was active from 1985 until 2000 whose first album "L7" was released in 1988. The band, which was associated with the grunge scene featured vocalists Suzi Gardner and Donita Sparks, who made the group one of the best rock bands with female singers.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
We all love fine food—and the people who make it! Eats introduces you to those folks, taking you into the kitchens of all kinds of culinary luminaries. From BBQ to vegan, eco-frien …