If you are planning a rock climbing trip, you should learn about the 10 best rock climbing parks in the United States. When choosing a climbing park you should consider what type of climb you want and your ability level. The weather and season are also important factors.
Smith Rock. This climbing park is perfect for rock climbing. The vast cliffs composed of tuff and basalt attract climbers from all over the world. Smith Rock has options for all ability levels and is open to climbers and hikers alike. Smith Rock is located in Central Oregon, three miles east from Terrebonne. Call for directions (541) 788-6225.
- Denali National Park. Mt.Mckinley is the highest peak in North America. This mountain has a larger rise than Mt. Everest. Mt McKinley is 20,320 feet with a rise of 18,000 feet. The South Buttress route takes approximately two to four weeks to ascend. This is the most frequently climbed route, but it is still very dangerous and only half of the expeditions are successful. P.O. Box 9 Denali Park, AK 99755.
- Devil's Tower. Devils Tower is 1267 feet above the Belle Fourche River. This best climbing park was Theodore Roosevelt's first proclaimed national monument in 1906. This park spans 1347 acres and difficulty ranges from 5.6 to 5.12. Take Hwy 110 Bldg 170 Devils Tower,WY 82714.
- Rocky Mountain National Park. The Spearhead is thought to be the best climb at this climbing park. This route ascends 13,000 feet. This climbing park provides great technical practice and alpine climbing. Located at 1000 Highway 36 Estes Park, CO 80517
- Pikes Peak. Pike's Peak is one of the most adventurous and dangerous of the best rock climbing parks. With a Vertical gain of approximately 7500 feet and deadly lightning, you must be prepared to ascend this mountain. This best time to climb is in the summer, but make sure you get an early start to avoid a lightning storm. Fees range from seven to ten dollars per person. PO Box 1575 MC 060 Colorado Springs, CO 80901.
- Arches National Park. You can look at these delicate arches, but you cannot climb on them. The Dark Angel is a classic climb in this best climbing park. This is easy climb, which is good for beginners, but not without excitement for more advanced climbers. Check out the Tonka Tower for some crack climbing. If you are feeling especially bold, you can attempt the three penguins. The entrance to Arches is located five miles north of Moab, UT along Highway 191. Moab, UT 84532
- Hueco Tanks State Historical Park. Best known for bouldering. It is low enough to attempt without ropes, but you will still need a spotter. This is a great climb for beginners or more advanced climbers wanting to improve strength. Climbing season is October to March. Located at 6900 Hueco Tanks Road, El Paso, TX 79938.
- Yosemite National Park. Yosemite is what made rock climbing popular. Some of the greatest climbs in the world are said to take place here. If you want to stay overnight, it costs five dollars to camp. Yosemite National Park: P.O. Box 578, Yosemite National Park, California 95389
- Joshua Tree National Park. The discovery of this best rock climbing park is credited to early Mormon settlers, who were reminded of the biblical figure Joshua because of the Yucca that grows there. This climbing park is accessible to climbers of all abilities. The granite on these rocks makes winter climbs possible as well. Located at 74485 National Park Drive Twentynine Palms, CA 92277.
- Grand Teton National Park. If you are climbing in the summer, you will encounter vast wildlife, like the pronghorn – the fastest mammal in the world. If you are climbing in the winter, the twelve snow-capped rocks make Grand Teton one of the most beautiful places to climb. They measure more than 12,000 feet into the sky. The Cascade Canyon and Death Canyon are perfect places for beginners to start. More advanced climbers will like the south side of the Rock, like Mount Moran's South Buttress. Grand Teton National Park: PO Drawer 170 Moose, WY 83012.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.