10 Best Rock Drummers
The 10 best rock drummers of all time helped to drive some of rock's most legendary bands. Whether it was the trailblazers in the early days of rock music, or the drumming viruosos that came a long later, the list of 10 best rock drummers contains names familiar to just about everyone that loves rock music.
- Neil Peart - Rush. Neil Peart was not the original drummer for the band Rush, but he wound up being one of the most influential drummers in rock history after he joined the band. Peart's other claim to fame is that he writes most of the lyrics for Rush.
- Keith Moon - The Who. Keith Moon is a drummer that was taken from the world of rock way too soon. Moon passed away at the age of 32 after helping The Who become one of the most popular bands in the world. His wild drumming style, and his even wilder lifestyle, earned him the nickname "Moon the Loon."
- John Bonham - Led Zeppelin. Bonham had the fastest, and most powerful, right foot in the history of rock. His ability to hold down a heavy groove made him legendary. He also passed away early at the age of only 32.
- Nick Mason - Pink Floyd. Nick Mason made a career out of making difficult drumming look very easy which is a skill that belongs on the list of the 10 best rock drummers of all time. Within the context of the music of Pink Floyd, Mason helped to create what would later be known as progressive rock drumming.
- Mike Portnoy - Dream Theater. Dream Theater has long been recognized as one of the most technically proficient bands in the history of rock music. Drummer Mike Portnoy not only helped to keep the beat for this advanced group of musicians, he also wrote a majority of the music as well.
- Danny Carey - Tool. As a drummer it can be difficult to make a living playing off-beats in rock music. Most rock music fans simply do not want to listen to a song in 5/4 time. But Danny Carey made rock drumming in a off-beat an art form and has created some memorable rhythms as the drummer for art-rock band Tool and established himself as one of the 10 best rock drummers ever.
- Bill Bruford - King Crimson. Bill Bruford emerged from the 1970's as one of the premier progressive rock drummers of all time. Along with King Crimson he also split his time with the legendary band Yes.
- Nicko McBrain - Iron Maiden. Never has a drummer made heavy metal look so easy to play. Nicko McBrain's fluid style fits Iron Maiden perfectly and makes him one o fthe 10 best rock drummers of all time.
- Lars Ulrich - Metallica. Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich proved that being a great rock drummer is as much about attitude as it is talent. What Ulrich may lack in technique he more than makes up for in moxy.
- Stewart Copeland - The Police. Stewart Copeland made difficult drumming look difficult, but he also made it sound wonderful. His hard-hitting but fluid style earned him a spot on the list of 10 best rock drummers of all time.