The 10 best rock metal ballads prove tough rock stars do have softer sides. Love, lose, and pain all come pouring out in these metal rock ballads. Writing from the heart about real life personal experiences and adding a softer touch to their usually harder edged music is what makes these rock metal bands have some of the best ballads in music.
- "Sweet Child O' Mine" by Guns N' Roses. The ballad was written from a poem Axl Rose was working on about his girlfriend. One of the best rock metal ballads because in 1989 it won Best Single, Heavy Metal/Hard Rock at the American Music Awards. It also won the MTV Video Music Award for Best Heavy Metal Video.
- "Nobody's Fool" by Cinderella. Hair rock metal band Cinderella had their first hit with this ballad in 1986. Tom Keifer wrote this power metal ballad about feeling used and mistreated by a girl. He is determined to leave her behind, and hints she was a groupie, or someone wanting his money.
- "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" by Poison. Hair rock metal lead singer Bret Michaels wrote this song about a failed relationship. The rose was his career taking off, and the thorn was the fact that it was costing him his relationship. One of the best rock metal ballads because it was such a hit in 1988 that Bret re-recorded it for his 2010 album "Custom Built".
- "Home Sweet Home" by Motley Crue. Off their 1985 album "Theatre of Pain", this 80's hair metal song didn't chart until it was re-released in 1991. To create such a power ballad, Motley Crue used a piano in this song. One of the best because the ballad crossed genres when country superstar Carrie Underwood covered it in 2009.
- "Wasted Time" by Skid Row. Released in 1991 by hair rock metal band Skid Row, this ballad is about Sebastian Bach's friends drug addiction. It started with cannabis, and moved to ecstasy, cocaine, and heroin. The song ends with the line, "I thought you'd never let it get this far," which was another reference to the heroin addiction.
- "Fade To Black" by Metallica. This 1984 rock metal ballad is about losing everything and wondering if life is worth living. This was the first ballad Metallica released. In an MTV interview with James Hetfield on the set of their MTV Icon special, he explained that he and Lars Ulrich were obsessed with death at the time.
- "Close My Eyes Forever" by Lita Ford and Ozzy Osbourne. One of the best rock metal ballads because to date it's his only US Billboard 200 Top Ten hit. The song is about a love gone bad, and how sometimes you cannot overcome the pain. Ford was once engaged to Tony Iommi, who played guitar with Osbourne in Black Sabbath.
- "Gone With The Sin" by HIM. Originally off "Razorblade Romance", this rock metal ballad landed at #1 on the Finnish Singles Chart. Rock metal band HIM's singer Ville Valo sings about a girl's unlike for herself, yet he loves her as she is. One of the best rock metal ballads because it was so popular they re-released it on 2007's "Uneasy Listening Vol. 1".
- "Rime Of The Ancient Mariner" by Iron Maiden. A great best rock metal ballad because the poem of the same name was used as the inspiration for the song. In 1984 song is based on the 1797 poem about a captain whose ship was thrown off track by storms. The moral of the poem and song is to love all creatures created by God.
- "Diamonds and Rust" by Judas Priest. In 1977, heavy metal band Judas Priest covered this 1975 ballad by Joan Baez. Released on their album "Sin After Sin", it's a live favorite for fans. The song is about memories and how they bring diamonds and rust, which is time both turns dirty charcoal into beautiful diamonds and shiny metal into ugly rust.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Lando’s Penalty Kick Ritual: A Tribute
He plays his last match for the USA tonight. This video is a testament to his impact.